Pimple-like thing on goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
My boyfriend, who is too lazy to log in and post this himself, has a problem. His comet goldfish (in a 35 gallon tank) developed pop-eye and then about a week and a half later it developed this pimple-like spot near his eye. It looks like a pimple with lots of puss and is quite large. Does anyone know what it is or how to treat it?

Thanks,

from my lazy-a$$ed boyfriend, James.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
That sounds like, and I get this info from a recent issue of AFM, there might be some breeding tubercles growing on its face. However, due to the recent illness, I might have to discount my notion, but a bump never hurt anything, especially if it might help to give an answer. Google goldfish tubercles and see if that is what your bf's fish has!

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
If it has lots of pus then I'm afraid it won't be spawning tubercles, they are tiny and white - a little bit like ick spots but only occuring on the gill covers and pectoral fins and the fish usually are in great condition.

Its highly likely to be an ulcer or similar, the clue is the recent pop-eye and its probably related. I would suggest treating for a bacterial infection, although it could also be caused by a virus.

Melafix might be good in this case as it is made from extract of tea-tree which is anti-bacterial and anti-viral. :)

What are the tank water parameters? Ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte ??

I would do some large water changes anyway as fresh water is always beneficial and would certainly give this fish a bit of a boost :)

Hope this helps some
Regards
Polly

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
By the way Yashinfan,

Are you absolutely sure that the pleco isn't attacking this goldfish at night ?? Most plecos are more active in the dark, just when the goldfish become very inactive. Even if it isn't attacking them it could be stressing them just by being more active when they are trying to sleep. Anyway its just a thought.

Regards
Polly

Capt Dave

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
make sure water quality is good and feed food soaked in vitamins and garlic. This is good for immune system

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store