What fish to get for my 20 gallon high?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Well, I have gotten rid of everything in my tank and all that is left now is a yellow-tail damsel. I will take him back also because I hear that they get aggressive. I will try to catch him with the bottle method, any other ideas? So, starting from scratch with fish, I know I want a clownfish. Can you guys suggest some fish with the clownfish that would go in the tank well please. Oh, and by the way, my tank has tons of algae and quite a bit of diatoms on the sand bed since it is a relatively new tank, about a month in age. In this tank, I have about 15 pounds of live rock and many many mushrooms. I have 4 astrea snails, 4 nassarius snails, 1 blue leg-hemrit crab, and some MTS. My water parameters are as follows: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 3 nitrate, 8.3 pH, 0 phosphates, temp: 78, and finally the sg: 1.024.

Thanks guys!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Before you KEEP YOUR DAMSEL, lol, I think there are options with these little devils.

I was reading about a snowflake damsel that schools. Turns white when adult. About 20 bucks if you can find one.

The Damsels don't seem any meaner than a clown, tons of personality too.

Join the Damsel Thread and see if we can coax other Damsels lovers into discussion about theirs.

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
I don't think there is much else you can keep other than damsels or a clownfish. And then about 3 fish max is about all that should be kept in a 20. I've had quite a few non aggressive blue damsels before but there are plenty of other damsels that are really aggressive in adulthood or even juvenile stage

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Gobies usually don't take up much room. Specifically the small shrimp gobies. Shrimp gobies are known to pick a burrow/cave and stick to it. The only down side with them is you might not see them very often. Mine never comes out of the cave unless he wants to feed.

Although you might be able to encourage the shrimp goby to come out more if you get a proven goby/shrimp pair. Then the goby will have to do his job of standing outside the burrow and keeping a lookout. :silly:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm not familiar with the bottle method of catching fish. What is it?

As for stocking a 20g high I agree with Feather that a goby would be good for the bottom. They tend to be peaceful so I'll look at probably the Ocellaris clown, and then another middle of the tank fish.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
so with my damsel do you guys think I could keep a clown? The bottle way is to cut one at the top and invert it so the fish swims in and has a hard time coming out.

Thanks

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well now I have gotten rid of the mono argentus and I recently added an ocellaris clown in addition to the yellow-tail blue damsel. In means of stocking, do you guys think I am full or could I possible fit in some type of other fish? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I'm thinkinh of maybe returning my damsel just in case it gets very aggressive later on. All it has done it nip every so often but nothing bad in my opinion. It just like swiftly goes at the clown fast without touching it though and then returns to swimming around. What would be my best chances of catching it if I were to return it? It doesn't literally nip it but just chases it for a split second and then returns to swimming around, so far, no harm done, and no nipped fins or anything, yet... so far, it seems my clown is doing great! he/she is zooming around the tank all over and when I put in frozen brine shrimp it went crazy for them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store