Saltwater Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Hello. I am a huge fanatic and keeper of African cichlids. I decided to venture out and start a nano saltwater tank.

So far I have:
10 Gallon tank
20" Glass Canopy
Whisper Nature Wet/Dry filter (55 gallon)
Azoo powerhead
Sand (Is it okay if I use regular sand and later add live sand? Wont the live sand change the other sand live over time?)
Base rock (White rock from PetSmart. If I add live rock later, will the rock turn live over time?)
Hydrometer
Saltwater Master Test Kit

I plan to get:
20" Flourescent Lightstrip (Would a Marine-Glo bulb be okay to use?)
Some Live Sand
Some Live Rock

I plan to make this tank FOWLR. I am open to livestock suggestions(I do not plan to get any until the tank has been set up for a month+)

Also, how do I use a hydrometer and what should my salt levels be? Also, how much salt should I add per gallon?

Thanks.

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
Well for a 10 gal you don't have many options for stocking fish. Maybe a damsel? Other than that, theres not much else you can have in a 10 and water parameters will be harder to maintain in a smaller tank. Salinity should be around 1.022-1.026 (it should be more about 1.026 for inverts) I think half a cup of salt per gallon. As for the lighting, you can use the marine glo, I used to use those before I got PC lights, but I think you also need a full spectrum light too. I don't know if its ok to just have the actinic light.

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Alright. Thanks.

So its not okay if I eventually put a False Percula in there? Ive seen tons of people put one in their 10 gallons.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Welcome to the world of lots of reading and spending lots of money, I am the same as you cichlid keeper(still not taken a pic of the tawian reef, ooops) and 4 months ago started my fisrt nano tank, its a 28gallon reef and my word it needs more patience and work than my 2 freshwater tanks:nilly: But here it is 4 month on:

DSC00150.JPG

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Oh, If you want a cool small fish that will prob be ok in your tank as they only grow to about 2 inches, get a pygmy cherub angel, I have one with a Royal Gramma and a mated pair of coral banded shrimps and he swims all over the tank. Here is a short vid of Colin the Cherub:

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Wow. Nice tank Waynecav!!!

Will it be easier for me to take care of if I have no corals?
You should have no probs with no corals as (mine hasn't been so far touch wood) cherubs have been known to nibble on the odd coral, mine grazes for algae most of the day and goes mental for flake (mix of ocean nutrition spirluina flake/shrimp flake/reef flake) also loves the occasional treat of artemia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store