Fish for 55 gallon SA/CA ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
My water parameters are:

pH value 12 months average is at 7.56.
The total hardness 12 months average is 70 ppm (range 60-88ppm).

I would like to set up 55g with some existing fish, and add some juviniles (~2" ) cichlids that will end up as medium sized - 5-6", not dwarfs.
From my 20 ga.if possible I'll transfer 6 corys and 8 glowlight tetras to the new tank, and add some neons and more corys.
I was thinking about a rainbow cichlid. I assume that there would be problems if I had a mating pair.
I'd also like to add some live plants - anything easy, like java moss and java fern.

*Any suggestions for medium sized sa/ca cichlids? How many? (I want them to be full size someday in this tank) but would get more than I need and trade in some
*Is my water considered medium hard?
*is an AQ 500 with a fluval 4 for (internal sponge) enough filtration?

I live in northern NJ, so there is a huge selection of SA and CA's so I don't want to rule out hard to find fish.

Thanks!!!

Evil Dave

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, Lets see....

Severums are a good all around choice. If you want hyper-aggro you could try Salvinis. Neets are always fun.... Maybe a Jack Dempsey or a Green Terror....

Ideally, you could keep a pair of medium sized fish in a 55 comfortably, but more than that might get crowded. And if you're going for a mating pair, drop the tankmates like a bad habit. Mating cichlids kill.

For more cichlid choices you might try: www.tangledupincichlids.com

Jeff Rapps has some really interesting fish choices.

As a side note, rainbow cichlids are west african, not SA/CA, but the conditions are similar.

Not too sure about water hardness, but that filter setup should be great.

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
Originally posted by Evil Dave
...as a side note, rainbow cichlids are west african, not SA/CA, but the conditions are similar.
I'm talking about Herotilapia multispinosa which is called a rainbow cichlid. It is CA. I guess than is an african rainbow also.

Evil Dave

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
DOH!

Silly me, I keep thinking of Jewels for some stupid reason. Forget that part, I stand corrected.

fishlips

Quality Takes Time
Dec 22, 2001
Harwinton,CT
Most medium sized cichlids are going to eat your tank mates. If I put neons in with my 5-6" dempseys I'd be burning money. Dempseys also eat plants and rearange them to their liking. Your GH is in the middle range to soft, which is suited for SA-CA and live plants. I'd go african, you won't be dissapointed. That is of corse if you want to adjust your water parameters. Good luck with your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store