Adding copper as a prevention method?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

razec

AC Members
Nov 15, 2007
I was advised by a LFS, that after I buy tangs to add copper every day for the next 5 days as a prevention method for getting sick.

Is anybody aware about this method? Is this something that you guys are doing? What will be the drawback of adding copper constantly?
I need your opinion.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
No, this is a massive NO NO in a marine system, we need our tanks to be copper free..What should happen is that you quarantine any new purchases in a hospital QT tank for a good few weeks to ensure that the fish is healthy and safe to be added to the main display tank..

The only time should be used is when treating a specific illness, certainly not used as a preventative measure.

Niko

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
If he stated in conjuction with a QT tank I might be able to get a pulse on his reasoning but copper and other medications should only be used IMO when there is a necessity to do so. Why purposely stress out fish more than they already are???

I applaud you for asking here before going ahead with such a plan and recognizing that you may have received some faulty information.

As far as drawbacks to a marine system, it will kill any inverts you have in the display tank, it will more than likely permantly adhere to any Live Rock you have in the tank (I don't know of a way to remove it, however if there is a chemist around they might be able to tell us of a way)..

It has been stressed before from other people who know more than I do, that you should NEVER place inverts into tanks that have previously been used as a copper treatment tank.

razec

AC Members
Nov 15, 2007
No, the owner stated to do this copper treatment in my display tank once I add the first tang.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
I was advised by a LFS, that after I buy tangs to add copper every day for the next 5 days as a prevention method for getting sick.
Razec:

I live in the fresh water world but "I would not do this one"!

Not only is copper very affinitive (as per previous posts any invertebrates will go away due to [I believe] the production of cupric carbonate)

but the induction of metals (other than traces which will be utilized by plants) into a closed aquatic system "does not seem like such a swift idea".

TR

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
Never add copper or any chemical for that matter to treat for parasites bacteria. into a main display tank. Most have major impacts on inverts and the good bacteria in our tanks. These treatments should only be done in a quarentine tank. I would highly suggest that you set up a QT for new additions to the display so that you can treat them if they need to be.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
No, the owner stated to do this copper treatment in my display tank once I add the first tang.
Don't do it.. I can give you all kinds of link (I'll have to find them) on what copper does to a tank that you can take back to him.. While Tangs are more susceptible to things like Marine Ick that is just a part of their makeup and its why it is wise to NEVER add a fish to your tank without Quarantining them first.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
tamableanimal beat me to it.. :D

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
If I were you, I wouldn't shop there anymore. You can guarantee they use copper in all their tanks. This will compromise all the inhabitant's immmune systems & cause they to be very sensitive to ich/velvet in the future. All their fish wil be weak. Even when really necessary, copper can't just be dosed willy-nilly into a tank. It must be carefully monitored. Forget this store!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'd not shop there anymore either. The copper will not only be potentially deadly to inverts but should also be monitered strictly even when used in a QT. Although I used it with a tang, it still is a poison and can harm the beneficial bacteria a tang uses to aid in digestion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store