My Jewels spawned!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
I'm SO excited! This is actually the 2nd time they've done this, but the first time, I mistakenly thought they were Rosy Barb eggs and that the Jewels were trying to eat them and I took the plant out that the eggs were on and put it in my fry tank, where they promptly were eaten by the fry. :headshake2: Anyway, Now that I've moved all the fish around to where everyone is happy and, I did a bit of reading about Jewels and I tried to set them up a happy spot to spawn. I put in a cool tree stump root looking decoration and I put a smooth rock at the back of the "roots" for them to clean and lay their eggs on. Then Thursday night, I put in 2 more Jewels. I can't really decide if I have 3 females and 1 male or 2 males and 2 females. 2 of the fish are more colorful than the other two. Those are the 2 doing all the guarding of the eggs. I just happened to look in there tonight and see the eggs there! I'm SO excited!

What do I need to know about ensuring that (as many as I can handle anyway) some of the babies survive? Do I need to remove the 2 little possible (see my other post) Leleupi cichlids? I'm not sure if I have anywhere to put them, but I'll find somewhere if I need to. Maybe just stick them in with the convict fry. Right now, it appears the 2 small ones keep to their part of the tank and in their hidey holes and the jewels seem to ignore them. The Jewels don't bother them that I've noticed.

Here is a pic of what I think is the Baby Daddy doing the guarding:

fish 013.jpg

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Awesome red jewels rock!:headbang2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store