QT habits of all?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
How many of you strictly and properly QT anything and everything that goes into your display tank? Assuming that any and everything can have the ich protozoa as a hitch-hiker.

I never did until IT happened to my tank. Made me a believer really quick and it did'nt matter how many posts I read about how important it was to QT, it took my tank being taken over by ick until I woke up and saw the proverbial light.

Ignorance like I had, just helps to kill more and more fish and especially Tangs that are very susceptible.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I QT fish, rocks, and some corals. I do dips on corals as well. I don't QT mobile inverts although I do inspect them as much as possible. I am also very cautious where I've gotten macros from but have admittingly not qt'd them.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I didn't qt my liverock, as i fishless cycled. I've started getting most of my corals from local reefers with frag tanks so i don't qt corals...but all fish go through a 4 week QT before they hit my main tank.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I only buy fish that look healthy and from one LFS which I trust. I quarantine as much as I can, however I will admit to not putting the Kole Tang I just got into QT due to it being at the LFS for 8 weeks pretty much in its own quarantine there. I also knew that I would have felt horrible putting him in a little QT for 6 weeks. I keep a very close eye on him and at the slightest bit of illness he will venture into a much smaller habitat. 3 of my fish I currently have, I never quarantines but have had 2 of them for 3 years.
I do dips on corals or do a thorough inspection. So far, I have had no problems, but I am also extremely cautious in terms of what I buy despite my insane amount of money spent the last few months on my tank. Anything from any other store but my current LFS would get quarantined for a full 6 weeks.
Live rock went through the cycle and have absolutely no aiptasia. One rock from LFS had aiptasia and it is now sitting in a tank and i'm trying to decide whether I want to boil and bake it and put back into qt to ensure I'm not putting that crap in my main tank.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Many times fish get the ich FROM the fish store. That's the case at 2 of the stores around me.

I think people only don't QT until they really have to deal with a nice disease outbreak. Especially if it's in a reef tank where display treatment is not an option.

Personally, I just don't put anything in my tank anymore, so there's no reason to QT. ;)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I QT all fish period.. Corals I lean more to a lugols dip and my new clam I didn't dip or QT I really didn't see a need to and honestly the lighting on my QT couldn't have supported him.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I have to agree with Subliminal on that in the LFS due too the fact that they are always having new arrivals with fish going in and out of the tanks. There has to be stress pretty much all the time and how can anyone consider that just because any fish been at their LFS for a certain number of weeks, that they consider its already been quarantine. For one thing, I never known any LFS to have available a QT to quarantine the fish for its buyers.

Many of us have our differences on the inhabitants quarantine period for most do so for only a week or two and so often I had witnessed fish getting ich even after that period. Of course, it all depends on how we all do certain things like in our tanks maintenance and stocking methods.

I totally agree with mandy21 on quarantine for six weeks and longer if any medications were needed.

Put one thing is certainly a NO-NO and that is if any of you take anything from the oceans itself, never place these into your main tank, "NEVER" for which then those will be asking for problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store