Fiddler Crabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish12

Goldfish
Nov 11, 2007
How might you acclimate them to freshwater? Just asking im curious. Thinking of getting some, but Im going with brackish.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
you could acclimate them, but they won't live long since they are brackish animals. You can't just switch them back and forth.

goldfish12

Goldfish
Nov 11, 2007
I was just asking. Im thinking of getting some but Im gonna go with brackish instead of freshwater.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Kept in a proper enclosure, they're interesting animals and a lot of fun to watch. I had about half a dozen of them in my brackish tank until my mudskipper decided she didn't like them....or more accurately, decided she DID like them...in her belly.

goldfish12

Goldfish
Nov 11, 2007
Im currently setting up my 10g for some right now. I plan on getting some in a few weeks. They look very interesting. All I have to buy for the tank is a new heater, sand, hydrometer, sea salt, and another test kit. Im also planning on getting a couple of pieces of driftwood (small pieces and a couple large ones). The tank should be ready by January.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
you can go brackish to house em oooooorrrrrrrr.

if you would like freshwater fish. i would and have.

make your freshwater tank however you want and then leave the water a bit down and use a adjustable turtle dock. then use a small hermit crab or feeding dish that will only take a few inches of dock space. and use a sponge with saltwater. i use the premixed bottled stuff and i just refill every so often as it gets drank or evaps.

thats all it takes. just a lil spot for saltwater and there happy and molt often. man there gettin big.

goldfish12

Goldfish
Nov 11, 2007
Supplies I have
10g tank
filter
dechlorinator
food
decorations
lighting
thermometer

Needed Items
test kit
heater
marine salt
hydrometer
sand
water dishes

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
most fish stores keep their crabs in freshwater, so you need to find out the water conditions of the crabs when you get them, and then make your tank that way before introducing them. then, you can slowly acclimate the tank to where you want to be, over a few weeks.... unless of course, they are already being kept in the same conditions you plan to create.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store