Zoas.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
OK. I'm planning for the future. Looking to get some zoas in my tank, not sure which ones yet. But as I'm reading it seems I get mixed signals as to what to feed them. I read don't feed just good light. Then I read to spot feed. Then I read that it depends on the zoas. Then I read that the longer and thinner the tentacles, the greater role feeding plays and non-feeders have short stubby ones. So what do you guys do. Feed or no feed?

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Every now and again I feed my whole tank with some kind of coral food, but feedings zoas by themselves...never. And I have about 10-15 different varieties.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Someone told me to feed phytoplankton or something, can't remember the exact name of what I had...but I did it for about 2 months and didn't notice any marked difference in growth, so I'm not buying another bottle. Light it is.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Rotifers, thats what it was.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
You've got to be careful with coral foods, too, as they will pollute your tank like nobody's business if you overfeed.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Someone told me to feed phytoplankton or something, can't remember the exact name of what I had...but I did it for about 2 months and didn't notice any marked difference in growth, so I'm not buying another bottle. Light it is.
I dose my tank with around 5ml of phyto every 2 days and ocean nutrition coral food once a week, I have mainly softies(zoas/shrooms/greenstars/xenia/toadstool/leathers) and one frag of candy cane(looking at getting some more LPS soon), they all seem to love it. The phyto seems to help the pod poplulation as well I see quite a few scurrying around on rocks/sand which hopefully keeps my fish/shrimps happy

andy1130

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
Boston
Ive kept several species of zoanthids and parazoanthids without feeding and had no problems with the exception of parazoanthus gracilis - a long tentacled yellow variety which after a few weeks started to decline until I began feeding them brine shrimp once a week or so. I just loaded the brine into a turkey baster and squirted them across the colony. The gracilis came back quickly after i started feeding them and as an after thought I started feeding some of my other zoanthid colonies brine as well, they ate the brine so i continued to feed them about every other week for several months until i moved and had to give up the tank. Never really had a chance to see how it affected their growth but it never seemed to hurt and the fish would pick up any of the extra brine shrimp the zoas didnt get.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
So I wouldn't have to feed the zoas. Just good light. Well I got the light covered. 150watt MH light. Maybe once or twice a month a quick dose couldn't hurt. Thanx to all:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store