Would you ever buy a fish with ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Due to the the recent thread of qt and ich, I always wanted to ask this "?"
would you ever buy a fish with ich?

I say Knowing that ich is curable, and if it was a fish that was super rare or something I always had my eye on and it was stress ich I would buy it (prob get ask for a discount as well)

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I would for a discounted price, knowing that it is likely to end up with a better chance of surviving if someone takes it home and puts forth the effort to get it healthy again. That is, of course, if it's a fish that we wanted to keep once it's healthy.

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
How much do you really save though, having to start up a QT for six weeks or so, plus the medication, or the hassle of Hypo, IMO. The only thing you are saving, IMO, is the fish. Very noble cause, you might as well pay full price. Not trying to beat you up fsn or Niko, just wanted to throw that out there. What's the cost to fix the fish, that is if it does recover?
Not in a million years for me, I don't do FW, other than my boy's goldfish, SW for me and fish better at least look healthy and be eating for me to even consider, too iffy with SW fish and expensive to say the least. I guess my opinion may be a little harsh, my LFS doesn't give discounts for those types of things, so you end up paying full price for a sick fish. I try my very best to stay away from sick fish, heck I try to stay away from sick(contagious type) people at just about any cost, I guess a part of OCD. More power to those that do buy them and nurse them back to health, that is great, seriously. I just won't chance it. Sorry for the FW reference, the site moved me to a FW thread after I voted, figured it out after a little while, duh.
Matt

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
How much do you really save though, having to start up a QT for six weeks or so, plus the medication, or the hassle of Hypo, IMO. The only thing you are saving, IMO, is the fish. Very noble cause, you might as well pay full price. Not trying to beat you up fsn or Niko, just wanted to throw that out there. What's the cost to fix the fish, that is if it does recover?
Not in a million years for me, I don't do FW, other than my boy's goldfish, SW for me and fish better at least look healthy and be eating for me to even consider, too iffy with SW fish and expensive to say the least. I guess my opinion may be a little harsh, my LFS doesn't give discounts for those types of things, so you end up paying full price for a sick fish. I try my very best to stay away from sick fish, heck I try to stay away from sick(contagious type) people at just about any cost, I guess a part of OCD. More power to those that do buy them and nurse them back to health, that is great, seriously. I just won't chance it. Sorry for the FW reference, the site moved me to a FW thread after I voted, figured it out after a little while, duh.
Matt

No medication or extra cost...just hypo....sorted...

Niko

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
wouldn't you qt a new fish anyway?

if you don't you should.

it's a tough lesson to learn..if you purchase a new fish (healthy) add it to the main tank to find out it actually has ich or some other pathogen.

SOP is to qt new fish..so if it has ich just treat it in the qt tank.

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
You are correct(I forgot in my madness that hypothetically we were going to buy a new fish anyways, hence the need for the QT), you take a chance with "healthy looking" fish too, so I guess it comes down to the hassle of hypo, which it is don't lie, or medication, and the possibility that it has more than the ick going on(secondary infections). Why not keep the odds more in your favor, I wouldn't do it, that's just me. I haven't bought any new fish for a long time, they aren't my favorite critters in the SW world, this being one of the reasons. Sorry I'll stop being negative on this, like I said before the people that do save them that is great.
Matt

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I can see both sides. I voted i would buy one if given a deep discount. meaning, practically free. Given that i have the money to take care of the fish I have, I don't have the money (or want to spend the money) on an obviously sick fish. There is a beautiful Coris Wrasse (I think?) at my LFS that is priced at $149. Absolutely gorgeous. If I was able to get it for $20 and nurse it back to health or attempt, then sure I would certainly try that. But a discount that much on a fish like that would never happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store