turbulent flow vs laminar flow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was just reading an article about the "gyre" style aquarium where one encourages mass water movement in a laminar flow pattern to create a sort of circuit around the tank. Just wondered if anyone had opinions about the effectiveness of one method over another, i.e. creating a mass laminar circiut throughout the tank, or using several powerheads/closed loop outlets to create a large amount of chaotic, turbulent flow in different directions.

ReefSparky

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
I've also not read the article, but I agree with Grins in that I've read nowhere that laminar water flow is beneficial for life, and it's not like the natural ebb and flow of the ocean/tides.

Turbulence, I've read is best.

Esox lucius

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Turbulent and changing flow is better for corals because they grow towards their food source and in laminar flow they just grow in one direction (towards the flow) and in a tank with more than one coral competing for food, when they all grow towards the flow the coral closest in the main flow will dominate and will either out compete or out grow the other corals. This makes for very un-natural looking corals. With turbulent alternating flow like you get in the sea it forces the corals to grow in all directions, producing more natural corals and keeps all the corals healthy, and ensures that each coral gets its fair share of the current and food source be it CO2 for photosynthesis or zooplankton for coral polyps to feed upon.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Also in a rectangular tank a circular flow will leave dead spots. Rather the 'round peg in the square hole' situation.

It would still be an interesting experiment.

Somethings might actually prefer it and thrive. There are places around New Guinea that have intense mono directional currents,(think flags flapping in a gale), that certain corals and fish love.

You could have a whirl going in the center perhaps and place things wanting less motion in the corners.

You could try it and see what transpires.

If you do, please keep us informed.

ReefSparky

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
Turbulent and changing flow is better for corals because they grow towards their food source and in laminar flow they just grow in one direction (towards the flow) and in a tank with more than one coral competing for food, when they all grow towards the flow the coral closest in the main flow will dominate and will either out compete or out grow the other corals. This makes for very un-natural looking corals. With turbulent alternating flow like you get in the sea it forces the corals to grow in all directions, producing more natural corals and keeps all the corals healthy, and ensures that each coral gets its fair share of the current and food source be it CO2 for photosynthesis or zooplankton for coral polyps to feed upon.
nicely put.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was thinking more along the lines of circulating along the top from left to right, then the flow going down the side and back across the bottom fro right to left, so there wouldn't be the middle dead spot on the surface like in a whirlpool.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
It's actually a very good article and a good read, working on the principle that even constantly directed water flow will eventually become turbulent because of factors such as rocks, wall, etc (as long as it is not directed directly at the coral). The Gyre concept is very interesting, and is probably worth exploring, as are a multitude of other things I haven't got around to.

Thanks Sploke for your contribution.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store