Aquatic bamboo plant??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eaglesandfish

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Porter TX
I have seen petsmart sell bamboo for an aquarium plant. I like the way it looks, but is this realy an aquatic plant or will it just drown after a certian amount of time? Has anyone had any sucess with it?

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
It's not aquatic, but might work if you allow the top to grow out of the water.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-

ScottyNorq

AC Members
Jul 19, 2007
I have three from Petco. Good sized ones for 5 bucks each. They have three twisty pieces each. They do great fully submerged. Actually I bought an extra one and put it in a pot and it started to die so I put it in my tank and now its doing better.

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm in California so it's quite different in population, but you can buy bamboo plants at the Chinese Supermarket, probably other Asian supermarkets as well. There are 20+ stalks for $15.

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
I had a similar problem. I had a few bits of bamboo in my tank. they never grew or really declined (except for two that died) later I took them out and put them in pots and they died within a few days.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Those bamboo plants are dracaena sanderiana, which aren't aquatic nor a real bamboo. You can find them just about anywhere these days, even the 99 cents stores sell them.

smbjedi

May the fish be with you.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have three from Petco. Good sized ones for 5 bucks each. They have three twisty pieces each. They do great fully submerged. Actually I bought an extra one and put it in a pot and it started to die so I put it in my tank and now its doing better.
fully submerged they will rot, i had a really cool bamboo "forest" in my tank, looked great for about three or four months and then crash!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store