Red Tailed Black Shark. Will it or won't it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mickey

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Ireland
www.setbb.com
I have kept a red tailed black shark alone in a 20g for the past 6 mths,it is a very beautiful and fun fish to watch but now that it is
growing bigger,about 3 inches i was thinking of moving it to my 100g community tank so it has more room to grow and swim about.
My community tank is planted and has several peices of driftwood.
Do you guys think that the RTBS will get along with the other fish in the tank.
Tiger barbs, serpae tetras, black widow tetras,a mixture of danios,some ottos and a bristle nosed pleco.
Anybody ever kept a RTBS in a community tank
All advise and info greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I think that the thing with Red Tail Sharks is territorial aggression amongst themselves, or against similar fish like SAEs or Flying Foxes (both close relatives).

They should leave everyone else alone. It might need to sort out a few things with the pleco, but they're generally described as a community tank fish.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It really depends on the individual fish. Mine killed off a school of Lemon Tetras, and chases my Serpae tetras around to this day(hasn't killed them yet). They do need space, and a cave(or shelter) to call their own. It will be very happy in that 100g..I wouldn't worry about him too much.

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
Slappy,

That's too bad. Every once in a while you get a mr/mrs evil:) I had one once as well that was obsessed. Most of the ones I had in the past would chase away if another fish came around their territory. Even then it would only chase for a six inches or so and then return to the cave.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
It sounds like a good bet to me. Those guys can be merciless to anyone who looks like them or hangs out in the same areas, including loaches IME, but your crew sounds pretty compatible.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
My brothers shark has been having an on going battle with a small school of cherry barbs. There is no winner so far but each believes that they are the rulers of the tank.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
phpKerouac, you have a rainbow shark, a relative of the redtail shark....it can be aggressive, but not nearly as much as the redtail. Not sure what you mean by mobile and retractable fins. :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store