Albino Bristlenose Pleco's have spawned.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ronw007

Breeder
Apr 17, 2007
Woodridge, Illinois
Real Name
Ron
Apparently my albino bristlenose pleco's have spawned. Was checking the tank and had noticed one of the male's staying under the driftwood. At a closer look I see eggs. The egg's evenually hatched about a week later but after a few days from then I do not see any baby's. Must of gotten eaten by the angels or cory's. Boy do I need more tanks (MTS) on second thought I need a bigger house.

albinobristlenose 002.jpg albinobristlenose 001.jpg

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Is the male still guarding the cave? It'll be about a week or so before any babies become free swimming, and he may be hiding them untill then.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Wow!! :grinyes:

ronw007

Breeder
Apr 17, 2007
Woodridge, Illinois
Real Name
Ron
The male has since moved from his cave underneath the driftwood. Have never heard of the male moving the fry from the original spot. Ever since he has moved I presume that the fry have gotten eaten. The eggs where laid about a week ago, then they hatched, could see tails hanging from the egg sacks, but then about 2 days after hatching is when the male took off. I know they feed on there egg sacks for, like said earlier, for about a week and then they are free swimming. This has been the second batch of eggs I have noticed the male garding, roughly about 3 to 4 weeks apart. Just wondering if there would be any chance that they fry would make it with adult size angels and cory cat's in the same tank? I would think not.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You never know; there's alsways a chance that one or two did but are well hidden.

Last edited:

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
A closed end cave (a cave with only one entrance/exit hole) is really best suited for the bristlenose for spawning. This way the babies cannot get out before they are ready to feed, dad will not let them, and no one else gets in, dad will not let them and only has one entrance to guard. It would give you a way also of just lifting the whole cave up once they've hached if you wanted to put them safety in another tank away from predators. Angels will surely gobble them down quickly, baby bristlenose are very soft first couple days after hatching. Cories will not bother the baby plecos at all. I keep 7 adult albinos in with my breeding bristlenose and babies. Daddy BN will whack the cories hard with his tail if they happen to swim too close to the cave entrance though. They steer clear after a couple of whacks!:grinyes: Once he lets the babies out of the cave, he goes back to ignoring the cories and they ignore all the plecos!

ronw007

Breeder
Apr 17, 2007
Woodridge, Illinois
Real Name
Ron
I have placed two 10 inch white PVC pipes with end caps in the tank about 2 weeks ago and they have yet to utilize for spawning. Seems like the male prefers his usual spot under the driftwood. Is there anything that can encourage them to spawn in the PVC? I have tried closing off the hole he dug under the driftwood, but no luck, he keeps digging it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store