xenia not pulsing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
ever since i evicted my xenia from my LR and started it growing on my glass (which it is, like a champ) it is not pulsing. for flow in the tank right now i'm still down to just my koralia 3 (in a 37g) since i still have my mj900 turned off (after it sucked up my nem) so there is quite a bit of water movement... BUT, it used to pulse with both pumps running when it was on the LR so i don't think it's because of the flow..? is there a reason that xenia doesn't pulse? i assume it's healthy since it's growing..? i miss seeing it pulse it's bumming me out a bit :(

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I read somewhere that no one has any idea for sure why xenia pulses, what happens to make it stop, etc. I have no idea where I read that at, I remember in a book but no idea which of many books I have. or had.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I have 2 kinds on my glass. The pink pompom (which is pulsing but not growing) & the plain silver kind (which is not pulsing but growing like a weed).

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
did you try feeding the tank? Maybe it will start to pulse once it knows foods is in the water.

FishPassion

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa Canada
I have heard the same as Mandy posted noone knows why it stops, also heard from some fellow reefers here it just wont survive in their tanks but grows like crazy in others. Luckily it grows ike a weed in mine and pulses but then I have been unsucessful with other corals that others say r easy...

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
Mine just started pulsing a month ago (and hasn't stopped) for the first time. It has been in my tank for about 9 months. Mine is not growing or splitting, but looks healthy and pulsing.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I would guess in the grand scheme of things, my tank is pretty 'dirty'. Nitrates and the like are always zero, but due to not skimming I would guess I have quite a bit of organics in my water. My xenia ALWAYS pulses, and has since the minute I put it in the tank.

I don't know if that helps, but I've heard of people who have totally pristine tanks and plenty of light having issues with the stuff.

:)

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
i guess it's just wierd that it used to pulse and now it doesn't. i think it's just ticked off that it got ripped off the LR it was so happily taking over. i don't think my tank is that much less dirty than it used to be..? maybe it is, my nitrates used to be up around 20 and now they are down around 5... oh well i guess i should be happy that it's doing well and growing, i sure like how it looks on the glass, that one is thanks to you damon :)

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Don't you guys think it's weird that 1 species doesn't grow but pulses & in the same tank another species grows like crazy but does not pulse at all? Gotta be something in that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store