Get a phone txt notification on loss of power at your home

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
No guarantees, but this works beautifully for me..

I live in a region known for power outages so when I am away from home it gives me peace of mind having a notification of an outage. I'm usually never more than an hour away from home and would prefer to head back home and check my tank when notified. Even another step further I have a UPS that will power my pumps for some time during an outage.

Limitations: This is basically a trick that monitors your internet router at home. It goes on the assumption that if your internet router is down or unreachable that you have lost power at your house. Unless you have a horrible service provider this should be an accurate way to detect outages at home.

Basically all you need is a monitoring service with txt messaging capability such as Alertra http://www.alertra.com I find them very reliable and use them for monitoring some of my business servers (There should be free or cheaper alternatives out there as well).

1. Setup your monitoring service account.

2. Setup a 'device' to monitor (this will be your home internet router)

3. Get the ip address of your router by going here: http://www.whatismyip.com

4. Setup your monitoring service to ping the ip address you obtained in step 3 (I have it ping my address every 20 minutes)

5. Setup your monitoring service to txt you if the ping fails

6. Unplug your router and do a test, you should be notified of the outage

Tips: You may have a static ip address which never changes, this is ideal. If you have a dynamic ip address then every time your internet router is restarted the address will change. Ensure you keep your current ip address in sync with what the monitoring service is monitoring.

Have fun :)

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Or for us really into aquariums an neptune aquacontroller (and other controllers too) can page and also email you... and not just power outages but also if any parameter goes out of spec like temp or ph. I am setting mine up right now for my 240g. :)
A tad bit more spendy though.
Thats way overkill.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Its overkill if you buy an AC3 just to get a message for power outages, not if you use it to control a whole bunch of devices like pumps, auto water changes, co2 injection, lighting, auto fertilizer doses, etc, etc, then its just taking the hoby seriously :) or maybe then its more of an obsession rather than a hobby... I forget...:grinyes: Besides it wasnt my idea to get it, it was the voices in my head... or did the fish tell me, ah I forget which.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
one problem though, at least IME, is that when the power goes out, you might lose cell phone service too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store