Ways to raise money for dogs surgery?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Anyone know of any good ways you can raise money for a pets surgery?
This is Harley
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9753461
He needs to have surgery on both hips. He is currently at the vet my mother and her boyfried take their cats too. He is still waking up from the anasestia from the xrays. They told us he will need to have both hips repaced and it will be $10,000(USD). Her boyfirend said he can't pay for the surgery but me, my mom, and grandmother allready love him and want to adopt him. Any ideas on how to raise money? Is creating a web page and asking for donations illeagle?

equus_peduus

Constantly Confused
May 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I'm assuming the dog is seeing a boarded surgeon if they're talking hip replacement surgery, rather than an FHO (femoral head ostectomy). However, there are risks involved in both procedures, and the fact that the dog is less than a year old means that the hip replacements may fail before he's ready to be done using them. He's also got a little growth left, and I'm not sure that doing implants before the dog's done growing is the best thing for the dog. He is almost certainly going to have to have them done one at a time, whether an FHO or hip replacement is decided (so unless then $10K is for one hip, at least you'll only have to come up with $5K at a time).

Have a long conversation with the surgeon about the pros and cons of different options. Potentially talk to other surgeons, if that's a resource available to you. An FHO is likely to be cheaper (though I don't know what people generally charge), and more vets will be able to do it than a total hip replacement.

There is also always the option of no surgery - I don't know how bad this dog's hips are, obviously, and they don't show a shot of the rest of his body, so I can't tell how much muscle atrophy he might have, but some dogs can do fairly well if managed right - kept at a slightly light weight, lots of swimming and walking for exercise, no running or jumping, potentially joint supplements. These are probably all things that would have to be maintained for the rest of his life, whether he had any surgery or not.

Do some research into hip dysplasia and the different options of treating it. Talk to the surgeon about the condition and what they think Harley's chances are for each type of procedure. Talk about potential complications. Talk about that surgeon's success rate. Talk about long term management, regardless of the procedure done. It's not an easy decision to go to surgery in the first place, and even less so when the dog isn't technically yours yet. If the surgeon is pushing one particular treatment and not being willing to talk about the rest of it and why they think one treatment is best, ditch him, and go to someone else.

I'm avoiding going into specifics because I'm not a vet yet, much less a surgeon, and this kind of information is best given by the veterinarian being consulted about a specific patient. I've given you enough info that I'm sure you'll be able to get some more from the internet to help give a groundwork for the conversation that will need to happen with the vet.

It's great that your family is willing to take in a dog that's got this kind of problem knowingly - most people wouldn't even consider it, especially with the price tag on the surgery on top of it. Good luck to you and to Harley :)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i too would advise getting a second opinion, you should be able to get the rads already paid for and take them to another vet to have them evaluated. Since you are in the philly area, upenn is obviously the best, but there is veterinary specialty services in wilmington (also board certified vets) and Windcrest Animal Hospital in Wilmington which has a therapeutic pool for post-op or rehabilitative purposes. There is also Care Credit which is a pet-based credit card for medical procedures, you could try applying for that. Usually there is not interest on the balance for the first year.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
This is atleast the second oppionion. He was origonaly brought from a petstore then the guy found out that he needed surgery and was going to put him down. He was then rescued. He has been to many foster homes and my mother met his current foster mom. She stoped by with Harley before going back to her boyfriends. He is such a lovely dog he dosent seem to be in pain but Its all he knows. The vet my mom and her boyfriend took him too said that he is in alot of pain even though he doesnt show it. His hips are supposed to be really bad. Im currently waiting to hear back from my mom. Shes going to pick Harley up from the vet as soon as he is awake enough. Then he is going to spend the night at their place so he can relax. After that I guess he is going back to his foster mom. I am now off from school on break so I am going to pack a suitecase and ask to spend the night. Im going to try to talk them into going to penn so I can be there to talk to the drs. I will bring up the one hip at a time thing tonight and the credit card. Anyone know if setting up a webpage for donations is legal or not? I am 18 so mabye I could adopt even though I dont have a cent to my name. But I guess there is requrments you have to meet. I could even put college off for a year and work to raise the money. Its not like my hs deploma is going to expire. I know my grandmother is willing to get a job for Harley too. I think I really just need to convince my moms boyfriend to adopt. I have only meet Harley once and I allready love him. I have even got him Christmas presents.:sad:

Last edited:

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Man... I wish you luck.
I don't think I would do what you are doing but I've had my share of dogs in my life and after my girl Kona the Boxer is gone I don't think I personally will have another. My wife wants one tho and I'm OK with that.

Q

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I talked to my mom. She doesnt want me to come over and drive in the rain. Her boyfriend is expected to get home at 7. its 8:45 now I haven heard from her so no desision has been made. Its not so much paying for the surgery its the physical therpy he is going to need. He wont be able to have the surgery for 5-10 months because they want to wait for him to stop growing. His hips are not connected to his legs and he has to have physical therpy even before the first surgery. If he was going to be put down then they would get him even if it means going into debt. But he is just going back to his foster mom if they dont take him. The rescue is looking ito varoius grants/funds or whaterver and are going to report back to them. They need to be sure that they will have some support with paying for the physical therpy. I guess my mom and her boyfriend are talking it over now. If I dont hear anything soon Im going to call.

When the took Harley to the vet this morning they also took their cat who has been haing skin problems. They arent sure but they think he is allergic to fish.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
well, luckily for the cat, there are lots of allergy foods available on the market that work pretty well, you just have to make sure there are no treats fed. The allergy testing is very expensive and not always conclusive, but allergy shots can be formulated that can help dramatically as well as a diet change.
I wish you guys all the best and hope that further news for your furry friends is positive.

Finley

AC Members
If it's Hip Dysplasia, first try dosing him at a high level with vitamin C for a couple of months. Apparently high dose vit C can compensate for inherited vulnerability to this condition and quite effectively prevent it from arising.

If it's arthritis, first try an anti-protozoal drug like Metronidazole, plus Glucosamine supplements to rebuild his joints. Even if your vet won't go for the anti-protozoal drugs, at least try the Glucosamine.

If you need to go ahead with the surgery and want help with funding, you could also try placing a 'please help' ad on Who's Ya Doggy: http://www.whosyadoggy.com/americacanada/show_ads.php?ads=all If it's nicely written and honest, no-one will mind.

Good luck!

Finley

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store