EMERGENCY Starfish/Parasite

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

futurecanadian

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Cleveland, OH
A tiny 7 leg starfish that is tan in color and flat has just shown up on my glass. I got new LR last night, so I assume he hitched a ride on the LR. How do I know if he is one of those pesky starfish/parasites?

Last edited:

futurecanadian

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Yup that bugger is an Asterina Star... I have now read all of the posts on them and I see there are tons of mixed reviews. I think I am going to remove him. Oy Vei. I don't have corals, but one day I might.

Should I take him back to my LFS?

Last edited:

JohnLin

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Madison, WI
if you think you might want corals down the road, then any unidentifiable starfish should be pulled out just to be on the safe side.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
if you think you might want corals down the road, then any unidentifiable starfish should be pulled out just to be on the safe side.
I disagree, most stars are good for your tank (detrius eaters). Not all asterinas are bad guys. I have hundreds & my tank is doing great.
Coolest thing ever I've heard Boggs was someone got a live fish with some rock. Shocked them as it would have me.
A customer of mine got a tiny snowflake eel with his!

futurecanadian

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Thanks gang... an eel sure would have shocked me a bit lol. A fish would have been awesome though. Well the star is back at the LFS. He and I just werent a match.
You guys rock...

Merry Christmas to all, from a Jew, lol.

boggs

AC Members
Oct 28, 2007
1o miles from detroit
Its kind of funny but 2 hours after i posted that i never get any cool hitchhikers. i went and bought 5 more pounds of lr and woke up this morning to a red snail on my glass:). Is this a good snail? its tiny.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
kill it.

i remove dozens a day.

im my tank they ate through bad algea and poo, and then turned on coraline and my zoos.

at first they were all chill and well behaved. then they ran out of the food id want them to eat.

death to the asternas!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store