Jewel eggs, 3rd times the charm?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
So the first time my pair of jewels laid eggs, I didn't know it was them and removed the plant they'd laid them on into my fry tank and they got eaten by the fry. The 2nd time they laid eggs, I knew it was them, but I'd just put 2 more jewels in the tank, along with 2 SMALL mbuna, and that time, the eggs lasted about 2.5 days and then disappeared. Oh, I did clean the tank once during that time and it was the next morning when the eggs were gone. So maybe it was me, or maybe it was the other fish, but I guess something made them decide to give up.

Anyway, I moved the others out of that tank and added in some driftwood and another rock for the pair and moved things around a little bit, gave them more hidey holes and plants basically. Last night, I noticed they'd laid eggs again! Today the eggs are still there, all or most apparently fertilized. There are a TON of them too. They laid them on the new flat rock I'd put in there! I haven't touched the tank now, other than to feed them. I try to be really stealthy when I want to look in there and not get too close to the tank. They're so determined, I mean, it's been once a week basically that they've been laying eggs. I have the filter covered with a bit of nylon.

Is there anything else I should be doing or not doing for them? I do need to add a bit of water, but I'm afraid to do a water change right now, but ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, nitrates .5.

Wish me luck with this batch! I wanna see some babies!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
awww darnit, the eggs are gone again!

What the heck is going on with these fish? I have black gravel in there, I would think if they'd moved the eggs, I could see them. I'm about ready to move these 2 over to the big tank with everyone else and forget about whether they ever raise any babies. Phhhbbtt

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
oh, I dunno, I just thought it'd be fun to watch them take care of their babies at least once. I'd probably give some away, maybe see if any of my lfs would take them and keep a few and move the parents and any I keep into the big tank after they were big enough. Doesn't look like I'm going to ever see any babies the way they're going though.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
What the heck? They laid more eggs today?

What is going on with these two fish? The eggs they laid christmas eve were gone yesterday, now there are eggs laid again, this time on a different rock, but right next to the rock they were on last time. Could they have just moved them? How can they possibly be laying eggs so often and close together? And I've yet to see a single baby. I mean, give me some gratification here, I'd like to see one friggin baby and I'll be happy! LOL Do these two just know how to make the eggs and then they don't know what comes next so they eat them? I swear, if they eat these eggs, I'm moving them into the big tank so I can put something else in the 28. :silly:

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
so you think maybe they had just picked them up and moved them? I know they're fertilized because I've seen the ones that turn white that aren't.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
well, we'll see if I solved the problem. I caught the parents out and put them in the big tank. So now the eggs are alone. If they hatch, I'll raise the babies and figure out what to do with them. If not, I'll have an empty tank to decide what to do with! Either way, it's all good.

cdfishie123

AC Members
May 23, 2007
you should get an air stone by the eggs so they dont catch any fungus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store