"Plant Newb" 75 gallon start up help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marv_Levy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
Just got another 75 gal tank my neighbor was throwing it out not a thing wrong with it he wouldn't take any money from me fine with me lol. Cleaned it all out today in between xmas parties now I'm looking to go the plant route. Never did it before in my life. Ive had tanks all my life right now i got 2 running 29gal with 2 angles and my 75 gal with the fish listed below. But they all got fake plants.

I want something real but I'm completely clueless here. So i need a newby guide to starting up a tank
i will list what i i have right now for the tank.

tank specs "i have right now available to me"

75 gal tank
Stealth 25watt heater
Marineland Biowheel 350 Power Filter
Satellite compact 130watt (2-65 watt) 2 lunar lights

now I'm thinking of adding a canister filter to the mix to go with the listed filter. What else am i going to need besides a CO2 system i don't have the funds to go that route. Plus what I've read it just make them grow faster the water produces enough CO2 for the plants to live.

substrate?
fertilizer?
Canister Filter?
Water testing kits?

fish I'm looking to get some discus as the main fish in the tank. so
What fish should i get for the cycling process tetras that go well with discus fish Rasboras i don't know what would go well with a discus.

Also what plants to do discuss live with so that i can make a perfect ecosystem for them like in the wild.

i know its a lot of question but i really appreciate the help and i really need it. Thanks

charlie4486

Charlie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
i would go with a fishless cycle. it's much better and in my opinion faster than fish in cycling. and you don't have to do daily water changes to keep ammonia down or keep fish you don't really want.. also it gives you the opportunity to put in your full stocking as soon as it is done cycling. which in my opinion is much better than a couple of fish per week.

I would get a bigger heater maybe a 250w, that much water is a lot for a 25w.

your lighting is fine for some lower light plants mosses, ferns, amazon sword, anubias, ad plants like that.

as for substrate i personally went with Eco-Complete and it has worked well for me.

Water testing kit would have to be API Master Kit. by far the best kit i have tried.

as for cannister filters i can't help you there. i only have HOB (Penguins)

Hope This Helps.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
hope thats a 250w heater lol.....

add a canister and keep the hob on there too.... your at about 1.7wpg you dont have to add co2. when your read for it pressurized is the best bet.

sand gravel soilmaster select eco complete you have a few options.

filter i would go with a rena xp3 other canisters are fine i just like that one

api master test kit you should already have it though.

i would do the fishless cycle then stock everything and leave the discus for last.

Marv_Levy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
thanks for the advice guys and yes that was a typo i have a 250watt heater.

after the fish less cycle do you add the plants and the fish at the same time or do you add the plants after the fish? Just curious like i said never did live plants before.

im guessing 2 20lb bags of eco complete would be enough for a 75 gal tank. I believe its a 75 wide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store