dying african dwarf frog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

matt2k2max

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
I have 3 african dwarf frogs in a 5 gallon tank. They seemed to be doing really well, but one morning when I checked on them one was floating belly up at the top of the tank. I thought that he was dead so I went to remove him and he moved a bit. I tried to feed him, he would not eat. His eyes were pretty cloudy too. The next day he was dead. We replaced him and then had a second frog with the same symptoms die. If anyone has any ideas, please help us not lose another one. Thank You!!!

matt2k2max

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings? tank cycled? regular water changes?

Ammonia 0, not sure on nitrate though, the tank is cycled. I have had it for about 1.5 months and change about 20-25% of the water a week. I have really hard water could that be the problem? I also have a couple of tetras in there that are not having any problems.

Last edited:

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
what are you feeding them? They need a varied diet and most people tend to just feed them one thing all the time which causes them to become bloated and other problems on top of that. I have 3 and have kept them for almost a year in my 20g without any problems but i vary their diet. I feed mine softened shrimp pellets, fish flakes (regular and spirulina flakes), freeze dried bloodworms and freeze dried tubifex and they seem to do well on those. Also, I never feed them day after day...I always skip a day or two of feeding. I've read that it helps with their digestion or something and so far they're staying alive and healthy for me. How are you feeding them because unlike fish they don't come up to the top as you probably know already. They have really bad eyesight but excellent smell so the food should be near them so they can find it. I have to target feed mine with tweezers to ensure that they are getting something to eat because all the other fish eat it before they can get at it. Its kind of a pain but oh well. Also, they are not tolerant of any chlorine in the water at all! The water you replace after doing water changes must be dechlorinated with some kind of dechlorinator (AquaSafe, Prime). The store I work in used to just put water in the tanks straight from the hose and it ended up killing 4 of 6 dwarf frogs in the tank at the time. Now we dechlorinate the water to prevent this. Hope this helps...there is a good site that another member recommended to me once for ADF diseases but I don't remember it. You could just try searching google for "ADF Diseases" and see what comes up.

Last edited:

lili70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
Oh my. Sorry for your frogs !
I have 2 adorable clowns ADF frogs.
I can tell you what I do because I don't know were you are wrong.
My frog were in a 20g, 10g and didn't mind. Now they live in a 10g with a betta male. Tank is cycled and I use Prime as declorinator.
My frogs are hand fed with a droper. They eat blood worms and brine shrimp. They got big and look healthy. I have frog pelets but they don't get them.
Bloating could be dropsy so bacterial. I can tell you that my frog were able to take a Maracyn2 and a Maracyn Plus HALF DOSE treatment (because of the betta fin rot). Maybe you should try it. I wouldn't expose them to full dose treatment. BUT check water parameters first. If the water is bad .... that's it.
Good luck.
L

Sarra

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
Mine won't eat anything but the tubifex or blood worms. Mine has been alive for a long time, including a month in a smallish tank with a Crawdad. The Crawdad will catch the frog, then let it go. Don't know what the deal is (frog is 100% unharmed).

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Ammonia 0, not sure on nitrate though, the tank is cycled. I have had it for about 1.5 months and change about 20-25% of the water a week. I have really hard water could that be the problem? I also have a couple of tetras in there that are not having any problems.
Determine your nitrites and nitrates. For a 5 gallons tank with 3 ADF's, I'd do more than just a weekly water change. Do daily if possible. What species are these tetras?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i would be more suspicious of the disease chytridiomycosis.
This fungus lives on a frog’s skin, and is spread by an affected frog being in the same tank with healthy frogs. It is spread by fungal spores that pop off the sick frogs skin, and attach to healthy frogs skin, where it replicates.
Symptoms can vary from the ADF having tattery sheds or very bad looking skin, trying to climb out of the water, spazzing/thrashing at the surface, not eating, floating or hiding all the time, and finally death almost 100% of the time.
Its a frog specific disease, so any future fish are not at risk, but your other frog will most likely get it as well.
I, too, would check your water parameters closely as it could not be chytrid however its becoming increasingly difficult to find frogs that have not been exposed to this disease.

matt2k2max

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
i would be more suspicious of the disease chytridiomycosis.Its a frog specific disease, so any future fish are not at risk, but your other frog will most likely get it as well.
I, too, would check your water parameters closely as it could not be chytrid however its becoming increasingly difficult to find frogs that have not been exposed to this disease.
That sounds almost exactly how my frogs were acting. How do i get rid of this disease?

They are Black Skirted Tetras. I tested my water and my nitrites were high have treated with Nitraban so hopefully that will help i am going to be testing my nitrates and nitrites again tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store