Hermit Crab bothering toadstool leather

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angel626

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
Yesterday I noticed one of my hermit crabs on my toadstool leather, it was still there at the end of the day and so I removed it. Today first thing in the morning I had another hermit on the leather, I removed it once again. When I turned off my lights tonight two hermit crabs were on the leather. What is going on? Are they harming the leather, why do they keep going back to it?

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Hermit crabs are know to be the "Terriorists of the Reef World" because they tend to eat and destroy anything they want in a reef setting. Thats why they are not considered "Reef Safe"

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Hold up grins - did you just say something nice about a crab??!!!

I have a variety of hermit crabs in my tank and a variety of corals. My crabs just do their job and haven't harmed my corals at all.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
I just captured a screen shot so I can remind everyone that you do have a little place in your heart for hermit crabs.
i dunno, but bane got a sof spot in his gullet for those lil critters illa tell ya whut!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
I have over 45 hermits in my tank... both dwarf and scarlet reef.... they have never done anything bad in my eyes.... they eat left over food/waste and keep the sand pretty clean.... i dont personally see why they really get that bad of a name.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store