Bigger tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dent20

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Davenport, IA
I've been wanting and planning to get a larger tank for some time, but can't decide how big I need to go. I have two 55s right now and want at least a 125 if not a 150 or even 180. In the short term, I'll be putting a Poleni and JD in the bigger tank, but obviously want to add other large cichlids. For those who have bigger tanks do you have any advice, any regrets with your choice?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I go for length and width, vice the extra height. Unless you have a need for it. I prefer to see lots of free swimming space and plenty of turn around room, and area for larger pieces of decor.

richos

AC Members
Sep 13, 2006
Gold coast, Australia
If you have the larger CA's, It doesnt matter what size tank you get, you will wish you had a bigger tank.
First I had a 3' then I thought a 4' would be big enough then I got a 6'x2'x2.5', now I want a 8'x2'x2.5...LOL
The Polleni (2 L's as in Paratilapia polleni Bleeker) will be ok with the JD (depending on the individuals temprament) as long as its big enough...the JD might beat on it if its the same size or smaller...I have a 8-9" Polleni in a tank with a Jag, RD, and a FH and it handles itself ok most of the time (if I dont keep the Jag well fed he beats on all of them)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I go for length and width, vice the extra height. Unless you have a need for it. I prefer to see lots of free swimming space and plenty of turn around room, and area for larger pieces of decor.
:iagree:

Kinda off topic, but for that reason I wish I would have gone with a 75 instead of my 55, even if it was a little bit more expensive

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
get the biggest tank you can,use the 55 for a sump,fish are up to you...........dovii are fun!

dent20

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Davenport, IA
I'll keep the 55 for other fish since I have a double deck stand. The Polleni and JD are already in the same 55 and mostly leave one another alone. They're each in the 4-5 inch range and the Polleni runs the tank. I have a Texas Cichlid and Rainbow Cichlid pair in there as well so I need to get something bigger soon.

I hadn't thought about a sump, but that is something I need to consider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store