Where to buy silk plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ketso

Cityfied Redneck
Jan 26, 2007
Peebles, Ohio
Hello all,

After much debate, I have decided to remove all of the real plants from my tank. With my career, I am not home at all through the week and I just do not have the time to take care of plants the way they should be. As for the fish, I have someone feeding them throughout the week but that person doesn't want to care for the plants too.

So, I have decided to go with silk plants. The question is, who manufactures a good realistic looking silk plant and where do I find them for a reasonable price? I have looked around at some of the major online retailers but I know nothing about what I am shopping for. Any insight from folks who have purchased silk plants online is appreciated.

Also, I have no idea how much room a single silk plant takes up in a tank. I have a typical 55g tank and want it to be medium to heavily planted. No particular theme in mind yet, but I would like to have large and small plants just like one would do with live plants. So, if anyone has done something similar, I would appreciate an image and how many of which type plants they used just to get an idea for what I am going to need to purchase.

Thanks folks!

EDIT: Just realized that this would probably have been better off posted in the Freshwater Products area. If that is the case, a mod can feel free to move it. My appologies for not thinking it through earlier.

Last edited:

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
i know they do start to look crappy after awhile tho? so re-buying would be a bummer or a blessing to redo the picture.

but you can get really good deals on huge package assorments on ebay and other places online.

Ketso

Cityfied Redneck
Jan 26, 2007
Peebles, Ohio
there are some pretty realistic plastic plants you may want to look at.

there is also the option of ommiting plants entirely and going with all rockwor, depending on what fish you have.
I have thought of that as well. Really the only reasons I wanted to add silks was because my cherry barbs love to hide out in my sword plants and I love the look of a planted tank. I guess I could just put in a cluster of swords with more driftwood and rocks. Guess i need to put some more thought into it. I would still like folks' input on this idea though.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I've actually purchased good silk plants from PetSmart. I like to feel, mess with what I'm buying to figure out if they fit my aesthetic and tank standards--the java swords are great. There are different sizes available; I found that after I bought a couple of different types and brands, I could buy with more confidence on-line whether retail stores or ebay, etc. And, as jm points out, there are some pretty good plastic versions out there. Right now I'm watching a clump of (plastic) hygrophilia sway in the filter output in one of my big cichlid tanks. Good luck!

OldMan1947

OldMan
Mar 24, 2005
Central Illinois
To get a moderate to heavy look in plantings is going to take 15 or 20 silk plants of varying sizes. That will give you 4 or 5 per square foot of bottom which if you think back is probably what you had in live plants. The silks can be purchased in groups on ebay for a fairly low price. I have some that I got that way before I started going in the other direction and replacing them with live plants.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
ebay has big packages of plants on their for A LOT cheaper than in stores, each plant is like $5 at my petsmart, ebays the only place I have bought mine.

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I ran into someone that makes fake plant arrangements for aquariums. She arranged flowers and hubby did fish. They put heads together and make economical arrangements. (Met at a Greater Chicagoland Cichlid Assoc. swap meet). Web site : www.pearlsplants.com. She uses a combo of plastic and silk. Her booth was pretty busy with repeat customers. I bought a 25" x 6" arrangement for $8 (show price) and can not wait till the March swap meet to buy more. The web site says 'specializes in customizing'. I know most plants are green and that is my 'expertise'. I bet they can make whatever arrangement you specify.

IME silk will begin to tatter after awhile, but this gives me an excuse to redo the tank.

Ketso

Cityfied Redneck
Jan 26, 2007
Peebles, Ohio
Thanks for the replies thusfar folks. I will look into ebay and see what there is on there.

I ran into someone that makes fake plant arrangements for aquariums. She arranged flowers and hubby did fish. They put heads together and make economical arrangements. (Met at a Greater Chicagoland Cichlid Assoc. swap meet). Web site : www.pearlsplants.com. She uses a combo of plastic and silk. Her booth was pretty busy with repeat customers. I bought a 25" x 6" arrangement for $8 (show price) and can not wait till the March swap meet to buy more. The web site says 'specializes in customizing'. I know most plants are green and that is my 'expertise'. I bet they can make whatever arrangement you specify.

IME silk will begin to tatter after awhile, but this gives me an excuse to redo the tank.
Thanks for the link. I am going to go view it now. Sounds pretty nice though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store