10g Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmakley

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
I'm thinking about getting a 10g tank kit and putting shrimp in it,no fish.
#1-can I mix species,like ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp?
#2-how many is a good number without over crowding?
#3-can I cycle it using the water from my 29g from a water change,and float the 10g filter in my 29g to keep from cycling the 10g?
#4-can I safely put fry from my 29g in the shrimp tank?
#5-any snail suggestions
any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,JeffM.

charlie4486

Charlie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
yes you can mix species but ghost shrimp are known to be a little aggressive.

I started with around 25 just to give them room to breed. I have heard people keep up to 100 in a 10g no problem.

I would just let your filter run in the 29g for a couple of days. i wouldn't worry too much about adding the water from your 29g as water doesn't really hold too much of the beneficial bacteria.

I'm sure it would be ok to put fry in the tank. both the fry and the shrimp require really clean water.

The snails all depend on your taste. if you are going to have sand a plants maybe some Malaysian trumpet snails to turn and aerate the sand. just keep an eye on them because they could soon over-run your tank. in which case you could use them to trade or sell them for other things you may want.

A suggestion would be to put lots of java moss. They love the stuff and it provides food for the baby shrimp.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Here is a freshwater shrimp compatability chart: http://www.planetinverts.com/Will%20These%20Shrimp%20Interbreed.html

I keep cherries with brig snails, but the tricky thing is that brigs are poop machines and gravel vaccing with baby shrimp is tough (I put a net over the end of the siphon). I also have ramshorns in there and that goes great. I too would recommend planting the tank as the shrimp love to graze on teh plants. I have about 100 cherries in one of my 10g's and they are fun all by themselves (started with 10). I would just take some filter media from your 29g to start the 10g, the shrimp have a low bioload so it wouldnt' take much.
Fry should be fine with the shrimp. hope this helps.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
omgsh MSJINK YOUR A MOD?!? Are you "one of them"? You know.. a rich guy? All mods are rich!!
yup a mod, rich no, guy no ;)

also forgot to mention the importance of a sponge over your intake, sponge filters are fantastic for shrimp tanks as well.

jmakley

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Thanks for all the good info.I plan on some plants,and a sand substrate.Is sand cool?
No ghost shrimp.Couple of Java Balls.I love the Cherry Shrimp,but they don't carry them at my local Jacks Aquarium.I'll look at Petsmart.Any other suggestion on where to get Cherry Shimp?I'll have to check on snails at Jacks.Thanks Again.
P.S. Love the hair msjinkzd.

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
:iagree: sponge filters are a blessing from the gods in shrimp tanks. :)

What type of fry are you thinking of putting in the tank? It might not be long before they get big enough to munch on baby shrimp.

For cherry shrimp, look though the classifieds here. There are a few people selling them.

charlie4486

Charlie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
for shrimp look up mgamer, he is a mod on here, and he is going to start shipping again next week and his prices are great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store