WHITE YELLOW TANG?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr_angryeyes

Don't fear the Reefer
Jul 8, 2007
Parma,OH
I was @ my lfs and saw a yellow tang that looked completely healthy except
its body is all white with a yellow stripe? It's fins are also yellow and a good source tells me hes been eating fine. No ones bought him because they think hes sick.What do you guys think? some kinda morph maybe??

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
It would be hard to tell if its a color morph of the regular yellow tang, a sick fish or a fish lacking nutrients. There are color morphs of tangs that have a white body and some yellow on different parts of their fins. My friend had one. The thing I noticed about hers that was different compared to a stressed or sick looking white tang in a pet store is that her tang's yellow didn't fade into the white on the body. It was a sharp contrast.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
If it were a sick fish, I'd usually expect it not to be eating. It could be cyanide poisoning from the collection process (they would eat great but still waste away), but I doubt it -- did the Tang otherwise look full-figured and healthy? In that case, I'd lean more toward a color morph.

mr_angryeyes

Don't fear the Reefer
Jul 8, 2007
Parma,OH
Looks healthy as can be. The store owner said they've had it for a month and its never changed.Swims around like any other tang in the store.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Looks healthy as can be. The store owner said they've had it for a month and its never changed.Swims around like any other tang in the store.
Then I'd say he's a color morph.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
def see if you can snag a pic of it. and post it here.

bdavis27701

AC Members
Sep 28, 2006
N.E. Ohio
I've heard white yellow tangs are really rare and valuable.
Wouldn't it be called a white tang then???? Sorry couldn't resist.:grinyes:

How is the fish reacting now? Any color change or anything?

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
I heard that it is from nutrition deficiency like some of you guys said. one magazine article gave an example of a white yellow tang, and said that it didnt get enough greens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store