Pacific Blue Tang in 55 gallons

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

proverbs308

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
Springfield, OR
I am in the process of converting from a freshwater planted tank to a reef tank and my wife would like me to put a pacific blue tang in the tank. Is this alright? I am planning on having somewhere between 25 and 55 gallons of sump attached. I am open to all advice as my experiance is freshwater not SW. Thank you.

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
Most tangs are open water swimmers inso they should have a 6 foot long tank with 8 foot long tank better still. Some people have kept them in smaller tanks, and withthe exception of the hawain yellw and possibly one or two others,but eventually they have to upgrade or get rid of the fish. Tangs tend to be ich magnets in the first place so anything that adds stress can enhance this problem.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I agree with all of the above. Tangs are aggressive swimmers and own the tanks they live in.. IMO it is not fair to take those creatures and put them in anything less than a what they should have to maintain them in a more than adequate lifestyle.

Think about it this way.. would you like to live in a closet? Then why make a fish live in somthing smaller than it should.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store