Clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
When I get back home on wednesday this week I will, I am going to buy a clownfish. The tank is a 20 gallon tall tank which has 15 lbs of live rock in it and a yellow-tailed damsel. When I get the clownfish, will it be fine if I feed it both frozen brine shrimp and some type of flakes. Which type of flakes would you guys suggest on petsmart.com?

Thanks for the help!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I have a feeling the damsel is going to pester the clown pretty good. I only feed brine to a new fish that isn't eating the other mix of frozen food I give or the pellets The only fish out of the 11 fish I have that will touch flake is my trigger which would eat dirt if I put it in the tank.

You'll have to have other foods if the clown isn't eating what you have. I make a habit of asking what the store feeds and get that as a backup. Let's just say I have quite the variety of frozen in the freezer as well as the dried under the stand.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright thanks a lot. Yeah I know damsels can be pretty aggressive but I hear that some clowns are also and if I get a clown a bit bigger than the damsel I think it would be able to handle itself. When I had a mono in the damsel would only so often nip but not too much at all imo. But I'll see. If the damsel is too aggressive then it's gone.

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Sometimes size doesn't mean anything when it comes to how agressive a fish is..

I recall watching a Vid that had a clown fish attacking a sea turtle somewhere here :)

JohnLin

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Before you release the clowfish into the tank after acclimation, re arrange the tank so that way the clown will be less likely to get harrased. But there's never a guarantee when introducing a new fish with a damsel already in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store