quartine, is it necessary?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rooter

Tommy Root
Dec 28, 2007
Ontario
i will be added a varied stocking list to my new 90g and i was just wondering if a quarentine tank is a must or if there is a way around this?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well lets put it like this.. How much do you love your tank? Or will you love your tank..
One infected fish can kill everything.

QT is a must and with your 90 you'll need a minimum of a 20 gallon long for a QT. You can take the risk and not do it, but I promise you that you will eventually have an issue if you don't. You MIGHT get lucky but the odds aren't in your favor for the simple reason that many fish brought into LPS aren't there for long and have been put under abnormally high levels of stress. Unless you know that your lps doesn't have a common filtration system and qt's all of the fish before selling you really should QT your fish. I mean your paying a mini fortune for them isn't it wise to protect the investment?

JMO

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
To piggyback on this do we quarantine rock and coral as well? How would you even know a rock is 'sick'? Can I get liverock from the lfs and just add it to my tank?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I don't QT LR, and depending on the type of Coral yes I might QT.. Other I do a Lugols dip on and put right into the display. But there are several factors that go with that. Where I got it from, if it was on a central filtration unit.. etc etc etc. I also go over my corals with a fine tooth comb before ever putting them into my display as there are all kinds of other parasites that could be fine on one coral but not another.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Isn't it possible for ich to hitch hike in on LR, or anything, for that matter?

I don't QT LR, and depending on the type of Coral yes I might QT.. Other I do a Lugols dip on and put right into the display. But there are several factors that go with that. Where I got it from, if it was on a central filtration unit.. etc etc etc. I also go over my corals with a fine tooth comb before ever putting them into my display as there are all kinds of other parasites that could be fine on one coral but not another.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Isn't it possible for ich to hitch hike in on LR, or anything, for that matter?
It can be in its tomonts stages sure.. But like I said I don't QT Live Rock..I cure it but I personally don't QT it.. But then I also don't buy Live Rock out of tanks that hold fish either.. And I also make sure that when purchasing from my LPS that it has been in stock for more than 2-3 weeks.. That covers my curing time and any time the parasite would need to follow the life cycle and continue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store