***breeding shellies-Lamprologus leloupi***

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishkid951

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
hi
i was thinking of somthing to breed in a small tank and i was told by a few people that shellies would be a good idea. the tank is approx. 1.5ft(45cm)x1ft(30cm)x1ft(30cm). i was thining of breeding shellies in this. i was thinking Lamprologus leloupi. i saw these in a lfs today...had no idea what they were...i even forgot the name of the fish by the time i got home...so i needed to try somew things...i got a list of cichlids and i knew the name if i saw it...and...i found it...i didnt even know it was a shellie! but now i hav seen em and like many other people in the hobby keeps expanding.

would these be suitable to breed in the tank i listed above? i think it is approx 8gallons(33L).
if so...
what should the tank setup be like?(fast current> slow current? sand? gravel? bare bottom? plants? temp? ph> etc)
how many shells and what size?
how many Lamprologus leloupi?
in what ratio? m/f?
how do you detirmin gender?
if i was to get them to breed(when i get em) how many eggs should i expect in getting?
how do i know when they are in breeding mode?

this is the first step in my research that i need to do before i actually buy some of these Lamprologus leloupi.
any help appreciated

also any pics of the breeding set up, fish etc are very welcome!!!

thanx again
sorry bout the long post

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Supposedly in the wild they tend to breed more in rocks and crevices but will spawn in shells in captivity. Unfortunately there isnt a whole lot of info about them on the 'net.

A 10 gal+ would be best. Although they are shelldwellers they still can reach 3".

With my n. multifaciatus I started out with a trio and within 2 mothns they spawned. There really isnt much of a sign, it just happens. I think females tend to be smaller, but not exactly sure. I would just go with 2-3 shell per fish. You can get escargot shells for a relatively cheap price, probably at your grocery store.

fishkid951

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
thanx for that...
any other info...i cant too find much on the internet to read about them.

Tonyvensis

AC Members
Dec 31, 2007
Leilupi are cave spawners and not shellies.
You need at least 5` per pair. Two males will kill each other in anything smaller.
In the wild the keep large territories. One pair in your tank might be fine once you know
they are definitely male and female.

Multifaciatus are super little shellies and will not eat their fry. I had 5 generations from the same pair in a 40l tank. They breed very easily too.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
my lelupi is 4" long
Leilupi are cave spawners and not shellies.
You need at least 5` per pair. Two males will kill each other in anything smaller.
In the wild the keep large territories. One pair in your tank might be fine once you know
they are definitely male and female.

Multifaciatus are super little shellies and will not eat their fry. I had 5 generations from the same pair in a 40l tank. They breed very easily too.
I think you guy are talking about entirely different fish than the OP.

Neolamprologus leloupi (what the OP was talking about)
http://www.africancichlids.net/gallery/neolamprologus_leloupi.jpg

Neolamprologus leleupi (what I assume you have)
http://www.aquanovel.com/images/atlas/leleupi1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store