Algae and Nutrient balance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

josh

wassup in the hood
Dec 2, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
www.umich.edu
Amano Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp

Hi,

I know that there is a type of shrimp called amano shrimp that do a great job of keeping algae under control. At the one place I know how to get them they are like $3 each. Then I saw Ghost shrimp at another store for $0.25 each, and I am wondering, do they eat algae too? Are ghost shrimp a solution to algae control?

-josh

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
I haven't heard that ghost shrimp eat algae... They're primarilly used to feed fish... They are basically scavengers and will pick up anything on the bottom they can find... I don't think they eat algae though. ;)

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Ghost shrimp will eat algae, but it's not their primary or favorite food. Besides which, you'd need 50 of them, so no they are not really a solution to algae control.
If you keep good water and are carefull during water changes, otos are the best for a smallish tank.
good luck
:)

fishhead

Nov 27, 2002
Austin, TX
I have both in my tank, mostly because they are fun to watch. Ghost Shrimp can eat some sorts of algae, though they seem to only do it if there is not much else to eat. Amano Shrimp do a better job, though they really do not eat very much algae compared to a fish like an Oto, a Rosy Barb, or an American Flag Fish. They seem kind of expensive (for a shrimp), and can be pretty fragile compared to Ghost Shrimp. Out of the four I recently added, only had two made it, though there was an unfortunate CO2 spike the night they were introduced. They really do not like low Ph. That said, they look cooler than Ghost Shrimp to me, and it is great to see them picking away at bits of algae.

Last edited:

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Amano shrimp (C. japonica) is the shrimp of choice when it comes to all purpose algae control. However, its hard to say whether or not the shrimp will do well in a fish tank... given a chance a fish (omnivores and carnivores) will try to eat the shrimp. Try a few ghost shrimp first, and if they survive, get your amanos. Shrimp are pretty much at the bottom of the food chain.

HTH
-Richer

josh

wassup in the hood
Dec 2, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
www.umich.edu
Wow!

thanks for the quick responses. I think I will try a few of the ghost shrimp to see how they do in my aquarium! I'll definately go for something else for algae control though. I've been hearing a lot about SAE lately. How much do they usually sell for in a pet store?

-Josh

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Amano Shrimp

I've never seen Amano's sold in this area - but that's not surprising..

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I would not keep a full grown SAE in less than a 30 gallon.
Ghost shrimp...........well I put them to the test.
They did not fair well at all.
They are neat etc, but the Amano shrimps earn their keep if you have enough. Amano shrimps will live/last longer than ghost shrimps also.

Ask the LFS for a bulk price rather than buying one or two at a time.
I was able to get 50 shrimps on special from the wholesaler for about 40$ with some free donated plants to the LFS and I picked up the whole bag as thwey got their fish shrimpment in as so they did not even have to count or bag them up. At worse, a 1.50 would be the max price they might charge.
I've pullled this tatict: "LFS so and so said they'd let me have a bag of 50 for 45$ if I pick them up and they don't dump in the tank. Will you match that price?" Or you can also say, I'm going to see what price so and so can offer me. that seems a bit high.
If they buy 100 at a time, the price is pretty good for the dealers.
Split the cost with local friends and divy them up.

I've ran across and number of shrimp algae eaters native to the USA, but no sources except myself going out and trying to net them.
Some are too small, they get eaten by most fish. Some don't like warm water etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store