any info on a jewel cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slowmo115

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
i just seen one at the store and am thinking about buying one any info on these? thanks and is there any other sug. with what i could have with this if i got one

Tonyvensis

AC Members
Dec 31, 2007
Stunning fish.

First of all, they like to breed alot. They are not mouth brooders so any fry will be free swimming and the parents will defend them very robustly.

They are also very predatious. You will be surprised by the size of fish they can fit in their mouths.
What tankmates will they be in with.

slowmo115

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
idk i think i want one of those and maybe two or three more. maybe a convict idk any suggestion

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
I have 1 jewel in with my other african cichlids in a 55g. It is doing just fine. I only wanted 1 because i was not sure how 2 would act with each other as far as fighting; and i did'nt want several because i'm trying to keep a mixture of differnt africans. I know the jewel is from a diff. lake in africa though.

Tonyvensis

AC Members
Dec 31, 2007
I have 1 jewel in with my other african cichlids in a 55g. It is doing just fine. I only wanted 1 because i was not sure how 2 would act with each other as far as fighting; and i did'nt want several because i'm trying to keep a mixture of differnt africans. I know the jewel is from a diff. lake in africa though.

Thats right.
They are Riverine Cichlids and the like to graze. Plenty of Spirolina in their
diet. Fine on their own in most moderately aggressive African setups but
If they are breeding in a Malawi setup the will more or less be destroyed
defending their young.

Tonyvensis

AC Members
Dec 31, 2007
Feed it food with plenty of Caratein to keep their intense colours.
Tetra Prima/Krill and Brine Shrimp will do the trick. The will eat almost
anything so a good quality flake is important IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store