Need some help with an outdoor pond!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
I might get an 1100 gallon pool and use it for a tropical fish pond. Dimensions are 10' diameter, 30" deep. In it would be large cichlids, like pbass, dovii, jags, festae, and large catfish, too. My prize channel catfish, and RTC and maybe a TSN.

I live right outside of Miami, Florida, and am wondering if I would need to heat the pond. Rarely, as everyone knows, it drops below 50 degrees. It does sometimes, but rarely. So do I need a heater?

Filtration will be my second problem. The pond is only 1100 gallons, so I was thinking of doing some DIY. I was thinking a trashcan full of scrubbies kind of like a bio tower. And then maybe an FX5 or a pond filter.

Can I have some feedback please? What do you think?

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Do you think the bio tower would be enough on it's own, or do you think I should also use something else?

How many watts of heaters do you recomend?

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
At night, the temp doesn't drop below 50F? The pond will match the exact ambient temperature, so if your fish can live in 50F water every night during the chilly winter months, then fine. But if not, add a heater.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Nope. Even in winter, maybe two nights/days out of the year it will drop below 60. I think I will add a few, just incase.

Is there anyway that I can only make it go on if the water reaches a certain temp.? If so, how can I make that happen?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Most heaters have thermostats in them, so that would take care of them If the pond gets sun part or all day, enough to maintain a temp of 75ish, that volume of water will take a long time to cool off. Are you planning on burying it, or leaving it above-ground? Burying it would keep the temp even more stable.

For my pond I built a large canister filter out of 4" PVC, run by I think a 1700gph pond pump. I also have an 18w UV sterilizer in-line to keep the green water down.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Most heaters have thermostats in them, so that would take care of them If the pond gets sun part or all day, enough to maintain a temp of 75ish, that volume of water will take a long time to cool off. Are you planning on burying it, or leaving it above-ground? Burying it would keep the temp even more stable.

For my pond I built a large canister filter out of 4" PVC, run by I think a 1700gph pond pump. I also have an 18w UV sterilizer in-line to keep the green water down.
I would partially bury it, maybe one foot in and 18" out.

That DIY canister out of PVC is very intresting. Can you explain it more and how you made it? Thanks a bunch sploke.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Instructions and Pics? I've wanted to do something like that. I have a small external pressureized bio-filter.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Gah I keep forgetting to take pictures. A few people have asked me for pictures so hopefully tonight or this weekend I'll get some new pics and start a thread about it. when I do I'll post the link here.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Ok great! I'm looking foward to this, it sounds really cool. Thanks Sploke!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store