My new Clown fish wont eat.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
I purchased a Percula clown fish 2 days ago. The fish looks great and is swimming around with my other Percula clown. Since i have gotten her, she hasnt eaten anything. It has only been 2 days so im not too worried yet, but I was wondering when I shoudl start too?? They are the only 2 fish in the tank and everything checks out fine with the water. I have a few different types of food I have tried to feed her, but she wont eat any of them. If she dosent eat in anoter day or so I might go and buy frozen food (have never tried it) ( any ideas on what type of frozen I shoudl buy?). My other clown loves the old food. ( Some type of flakes and i feed him a type of brine shrimp) I was jsut wondering if anyone had soem ideas for me to get her eating?????

boxcarskater90

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
I had 3 percula clowns and 1 tomato clown they would go crazy for the frozen food Reef Plankton they just loved it

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
I have never fed flakes to SW fish. Most of my fish won't even venture toward the surface for food.

All the clowns I have ever had love Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and 2 small sinking pellets. I get a can of each and mix them together.

Frozen Mysid and Marine Quizine are one of the staple foods I feed all my fish and the clowns love it. I thaw it out by placing it and a net and rinsing it with ro/di water. Some finicky eaters like the food to be moving so I'll turn off all the pumps except one powerhead. A lot of fish will give up on food once it hits the bottom so the powerhead will keep the food in the water column longer.

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Or try frozen bloodworms. I feed my spotted mandarin goby thawed bloodworms and my clowns love them almost as much as he does.

Schigara what do you feed your mandarin or does he only eat pods?

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
The Mandarin, along with all other fish were in Hypo QT for 3 weeks and I have brought the QT back up to 1.025 until the 23rd. I had a bout with Ich and lost my Hippo and almost lost 2 others due to a total lack of QT.

He does eat formula 1 and 2 so that is what he is eating while in QT. In the display though, there are so many pods, he pays no attention to the pellets.

When I first got him, I placed him in the refugium and put an Olive jar in with him that contained pellets and observed him eating them so I knew I would be able to keep him in such a small system as the 75 that I have.

Or try frozen bloodworms. I feed my spotted mandarin goby thawed bloodworms and my clowns love them almost as much as he does.

Schigara what do you feed your mandarin or does he only eat pods?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store