Is my clown loach going to eat my mystery snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
The 3 of them are pretty big, but I wanted to ask anyway. Also, is he eating my MTS? I can't tell for sure, but I sure don't see them around. And what about my ramshorns? There is at least one that I see scooting around that he hasn't gotten to yet, but I wonder if he's already gotten the smaller ones. Am I not going to be able to keep snails alive in this tank with him around? I love him, but if I can't keep snails, he may need to be rehomed. Or maybe I'll put a blue crayfish in instead of snails. What about shrimp, will he eat them too?

Thanks!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Almost all invertebrates are on the loaches' food menu. I had mine consumed all MTS they could find.:) Crayfish should never be mixed with fish as a side note. These are ambush predators.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
You are everywhere! LOL I keep seeing that the blue crays are really slow and can't really catch fish. I probably wouldn't mind the Loach eating my snails, except that I want the snails in there to keep the sand stirred up. Arrrghhh, prolly gonna have to give the little guy up. Phooeey

Need to just get some shrimps and snails ordered for my lil 10 and then I'll be happy.

I know the cause of MTS - desire to keep too many different species. Now what is the cure? :dance2:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I know the cause of MTS - desire to keep too many different species. Now what is the cure? :dance2:
The only cure is losing interest in doing all tank maintenance I'll bet.:) It's not that bad if you can handle the bills and the efforts required.:thm:

You really have plenty of excuses to get more tanks.:thumbsup:

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
well, for now, I actually find tank maintenance relaxing, so if that doesn't change......

but next up, we've got our SW project, so that should keep me busy for a good long time!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
My clowns eat my MTS also but they multiply so quickly and stay hidden in the sand as youngsters that they can't possibly all be eaten as I still see a great number of them at night fall on the mosses.

I've always wondered about Brigs being eaten myself but never cared to chance it.

If anyone that breeds Brigs needs to cull the imperfect ones and cares to send them to me I'll test the theory.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
yes, yes, and yes. the clown loach WILL eat the snails. not if, not maybe, not perhaps, WILL. loaches don't differentiate between shelled creatures. if it's a snail, they will eat it. DO NOT TRY KEEPING THEM TOGETHER. this is very cruel, as they may not kill the snail. have a look at this thread:

http://www.applesnail.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3105

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
I took him out yesterday. Took me 2.5 hours to catch him and the 4 chinese algae eaters I was also removing from my community tank. I like my snails, even the little bitty ones, so in spite of being pretty, he's being rehomed. My neighbor is going to take him.

Thank goodness he hasn't hurt my golden, blue or black mystery snails! They're so big, I really didn't think of him bothering with them until just recently, I'd noticed him nosing around them and they'd duck into their shells really quickly.

I've had to rethink my community a bit and I removed 7 fish yesterday. I've got 2 more that will be coming out. They're just tetras though, no danger to my snails. :)

I added in some amano shrimp tonight! I'm hopeful they'll clean up my plants for me. I've got a gorgeous bamboo shrimp I just put in yesterday too. He is VERY active and cool!

Now, where can I find some of those magenta & pink snails?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store