What do you agree would be the minimum tank size for bettas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

What is the perfect tank size for a betta? (minimum)

• Smaller than 1/2g

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1/2g

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 1g

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • 2.5g

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • 5g

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • 10g

Votes: 19 16.1%

• Total voters

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
I'm just curious about what you think. Say whatever size it is it has a filter (according to the size of tank/bowl) and a heater. What would you say the minimum size would be to make the betta live an average, happy life?

My opinion is one gallon. I've had bettas live very happily in 1 gal. tanks. I hate the ddrum bowls though--- they're like, 1/2 full of gravel... I like my pentagon :)

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I wouldn't do less than 5 gallons.I even think thats to small.

To many people think Bettas don't move around or aren't active fish. I disagree with that because the Betta in my 55 gallon tank is constantly swimming all over the tank and even the one in the 15 gallon is active. With such small areas as a 1 or 2.5 gallon they have no room to swim around.

They might be better off in the 1 gallon then a bowl but that doesn't mean they are doing the best they are capable of doing.

Does a small dog like a Jack Russell deserve a smaller yard then a Great Dane?

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
No, knowing jack russels, they need much larger yards than great danes :grinno:

I voted for 5g, as in a "perfect" sized tank. The minimum, IMHO, is 2.5g, but I seriously prefer 5g, and no fish should be kept in anything less. 10g is good, but it's not a "perfect minimum", as smaller tanks suit bettas quite well, although I think any fish should be given the biggest tank possible.

livingword26

AC Members
Dec 5, 2006
Kansas, USA
www.aquariacentral.com
I voted for 5 gallon. I don't think any kind of fish should have a smaller tank than that. Just because a fish stays healthy, doesn't mean its happy.

deadxero

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
5 gal min..... see my sig.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
5 would be the smallest I'd use, but personally I don't see a good reason not to go to a 10. Your not really spending much more, and your house would have to be very small to not have the room for the extra 2 inches front to back and 4 inches lengthwise. It's not really much harder to do take care of either... unless you think lifting a 5 gallon bucket is too hard for you, in that case you could use the 2.5 gallon buckets you'd use for a 5... or you could just go the easy way and buy a python... or put the tank on the counter next to the sink.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store