Selection on reef tanks fish and open to any suggestion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Now while in selecting of which Anthias species I feel better for either 180 or 240 due to the fish maximum growth. And while listing these I began thinking that I will forget on the idea of either a dwarf or middle size growing angelfish due to tank space and also that most any angel I can choose from will nip at the Zoas, polyps and other soft corals I may have. I did begin the idea with having the Clarion Angelfish, but these were to go into the 240 gal tank. Now being are small as some of these Anthias species are, I am looking into the idea to get one of the smaller growing of this species so that tank space may not become so much an issue. But being that i will have to feed these fish more often, that I would also like to add color to the tank. And as right at this moment, a selection/choice is to be made for the 180 gal reef tank. What if a suggestion of a male and 2 or 3 females which is why even more why im thinking to get one of the smaller size of this species. This is one fish I not ever own as yet.

REDFIN ANTHIAS (Pseudanthias dispar) 4"
Disbar Anthias (Mirolabrichthys dispar) 4"
Carberryi Anthias (Nemanthias carberryi) 3"
Evansi Anthias (Microlabrichthys evansi) 5"
Parvirostris Anthias (Anthias parvirostris) 4"
Queen Tiger Anthias (Pseudoanthias lori) 5"
Squareback Anthias (Pseudoanthias pleurotaenia) 4"
Ventralis Anthias (Pseudanthias ventralis) 3" ***
Bartlett's Anthias (Psuedoanthias bartlettorum) 3.5" ***
Hawaiian Fancy Bicolor Anthias (Pseudanthias bicolor) 5"
Huchtii Anthias (Pseudoanthias huchtii) 5"
Highfin Perchlet (Plectranthias sp.) 2" ***
Randall's Anthias (Pseudanthias randalli) 3" ***
Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus) 3" ***
Yellowstriped fairy basslet (Pseudanthias tuka) 3" ***
Sunburst Anthias/Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus) 4" ?
Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis) 5"
===================================================
Now here is a selection of Tangs, depending on which of these will depend also on if I can manage three in all for the 180 or just two. I made a quick pick on what I favor more without looking at any under a search. So what is needed here is I not know of the aggressive level of each of these that are listed. So great assistance may be required from those who had any of the species which are on this selection list. I'm looking to narrow the list down to at most, to eight or ten tangs.

Anyway, the Tang selection list is now standing like this:

(Acanthurus achilles) Achilles Tang ***
(Acanthurus coeruleus) Atlantic Blue Tang ***
(Acanthurus glaucopareius) Whitecheek Surgeonfish**?
(Acanthurus japonicus) Powder Brown Tang **?
(Acanthurus leucosternon) Powder Blue Tang ***
(Acanthurus nigricans) White Cheek Tang ***
(Acanthurus guttatus) Mustard Surgeonfish ***
(Acanthurus tristis) Indian Ocean Mimic Surgeonfish**?
(Ctenochaetus binotatus) Two Spot Bristletooth Tang**
(Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis) Chelvron tang***/BLACK KOLE***?
(Ctenochaetus strigosus) Yellow Eye Kole Tang***
(Ctenochaetus tominiensis) Tomini Bristletooth Tang**?
(Ctenochaetus truncatus) Spotted Yellow Eye Tang***
(Zebrasoma gemmatum) Gem tang ***?
(Zebrasoma rostratum) Black Longnose Sailfin Tang/Black Sailfin Tang ***
(Zebrasoma xanthurus) Purple Tang ***
(Acanthurus pyroferus) Yellow Mimic Tang (Chocolate Surgeonfish) ***
(Acanthurus guttatus) Mustard (Guttatus) Tang Whitespotted Surgeonfish ***

And one more thing, if any are looking through this and require time to make what adjustments they feel be necessary, Please let me know this> Thanks
========================================================
Now I was suggested to forget about the idea of three sets of gobies, so I listed a small selection on blenny`s, One that I know of is a must which is with this symbol (*) Now if any are a bad choice or any ideas of any greater choices to be added, its time to make that suggestion known.

Bicolor Blenny(Ecsenius bicolor)
Red Scooter Dragonet / Blenny - Synchiropus stellatus * Is a great flatworm eater.
Harptail Blenny (Meiacanthus mossambicus)
White Blenny (Meiacanthus smithii)
Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny (Ecsenius bimaculatus)
Black and Yellow Blenny (Enchelyurus flavipes)
Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
One Spot Blenny (Crossosalarias macrospilus)
Once one or both reef systems are functioning, im guessing that due to the size of both tanks that I will be able to have two of any listed here. Still, its new for me in this way to look towards have two of the same family group, lease enough same species. Once again, any suggestion to removing or either making some addition to this selection. Please feel free to make those known here.

Blue Flavivertex Pseudochromis/Sunrise Pseudochromis or Sunrise Dottyback (Pseudochromis flavivertex) ***
Fridman's Pseudochromis/Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani) ***
Arabian Pseudochromis/Orange Dottyback (Pseudochromis aldabraensis)
Bicolor Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis paccagnella)
Neon Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis aldabraensis)
Purple Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis porphyreus)
Springeri Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis springerii)
Fridmani Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis fridmani)
Blue Flavivertex Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis flavivertex)
==============================================
Once again, being that either reef tanks are large enough with much hiding places, it could possibly do well with either two wrasses. Also if any better suggestions can be made here, there be always room to make an adjustment.

Emerald Green Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus) *
Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) *
Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) *
Possum Wrasse (Wetmprella spp.) 1M & 3F ?
Scarlet Pin stripe Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus evanidus) *
Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) *
I been looking before to see to which of these I can manage. What if I could have a pair or two singles.

Citron Clown Goby (Gobiodon okinawae)
Five-lined coral goby (Gobiodon quinquestrigatus)
Black Clown Goby (Gobiodon strangulatus)
Citrinis Clown Goby (Gobiodon citrinus)
Yellow Clown Goby (Gobiodon okinawae)
Brown Clown Goby (Gobiodon spp.)
Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus)
Below is a mixer on fish selection.
Old Glory Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)
Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)
Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons)
Green Mandarin Goby Pterosynchiropus splendidus
Spotted Mandarin Goby Synchiropus picturatus
Purple Firefish/Purple Dartfish (Nemateleotris decora)
Helfrichi's Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
Purple firefish(Nemateleotris decora)
FoxFace Rabbitfish (Siganus vulpinus)
Dragonface Pipefish (Corythoichthys haematopterus) Pair
Often I thought of having an Anemone and im thinking for each tank that I will place one of these and being that im to have a pair of dwarf morays in both tanks, carpet Anemones are out. I have the Anemone with the choice of clownfish.

Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) / Maroon Clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus)

Sebae or Leather Anemone (Heteractis crispa) / Orange-finned Clownfish (Amphiprion chrysopterus)

I'm done as searching for more ideas to what fish, if any new thoughts come to mind, I will list those. And in the meanwhile, I will move along now to my search on zoas, polyps and Ric and such. Also, 3-5 LPS corals I might use here under MH lighting.

Also, the reason for this thread is to limited any room for error on buying the wrong fish.

Thank You in Advance :)

And if I get no replies in here or from other forums, I will just have to go by my own decisions and face it by trail and error, just like the way it was back in my beginning years.

All have a Very Happy New Years :)
Buddy

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Thanks to you Keith, if no other opinions on these Anthias species, I will pick from the ones that not have a question mark after it. And im thinking in this if no other changes, I will go with the Pseudanthias squamipinnis for the 240 gal reef tank when ready and go with a smaller of the species in the 180

Selection as of now>

Anthias selections>
Disbar Anthias (Mirolabrichthys dispar)
Carberryi Anthias (Nemanthias carberryi)
Evansi Anthias (Microlabrichthys evansi) ?
Parvirostris Anthias (Anthias parvirostris) ?
Hawaiian Fancy Bicolor Anthias (Pseudanthias bicolor)
Huchtii Anthias (Pseudoanthias huchtii) ?
Highfin Perchlet (Plectranthias sp.) ?
Randall's Anthias (Pseudanthias randalli) ?
Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus) ?
Yellowstriped fairy basslet (Pseudanthias tuka) ??
Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)

Selections with a question mark, if no further opinions will be removed.
======================================================
Quote:
I am not great with tangs, but am willing to give comments on the ones I know about:

That is all I can ask of you and from others for it be far best that if I can get any suggestions on the marine species that I had possibly selected as a tank inhabitant. And also, I do know that so many of the tangs are not overly hardy as you suggested they are.

The selection list on tangs now stands this way .
(Acanthurus achilles) Achilles Tang *
(Acanthurus coeruleus) Atlantic Blue Tang *
(Acanthurus glaucopareius
) Whitecheek Surgeonfish?
(Acanthurus japonicus) Powder Brown Tang ?
(Acanthurus leucosternon) Powder Blue Tang?
(Acanthurus nigricans
) White Cheek Tang ?
(Acanthurus guttatus) Mustard Surgeonfish *
(Acanthurus tristis) Indian Ocean Mimic Surgeonfish*?
(Ctenochaetus binotatus) Two Spot Bristletooth Tang ?
(Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis) Chelvron tang *
(Ctenochaetus strigosus
) Yellow Eye Kole Tang*
(Ctenochaetus tominiensis) Tomini Bristletooth Tang ?
(Ctenochaetus truncatus) Spotted Yellow Eye Tang ?
(Zebrasoma gemmatum) Gem tang * (To stay on the list as a possible selection)
(Zebrasoma rostratum) Black Longnose Sailfin Tang/Black Sailfin Tang *
(Zebrasoma xanthurus) Purple Tang * (To stay on the list as a possible selection)
(Acanthurus pyroferus) Yellow Mimic Tang*

Thanks once again Keith and if I get no other opinions in this selection list, I will remove the ones that have a question mark in which will leave about nine tangs> As for the Gem, It not would bother me to spend over $3,000, only that it will depend much on my situation prior to buying the fish. This is one fish in which I pick out from the very beginning.

Once one or both reef systems are functioning, im guessing that due to the size of both tanks that I will be able to have two of any listed here. Still, its new for me in this way to look towards have two of the same family group, lease enough same species. Once again, any suggestion to removing or either making some addition to this selection. Please feel free to make those known here.
Once again, being that either reef tanks are large enough with much hiding places, it could possibly do well with either two wrasses. Also if any better suggestions can be made here, there be always room to make an adjustment.

Emerald Green Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus) * Never have kept them, but I believe they are fairly hardy.
Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) * Not very familiar with them.
Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) * Never have kept them, but I believe they are fairly hardy.
Possum Wrasse (Wetmprella spp.) 1M & 3F ? I have kept these in the past (only a single one) and loved it. They tend to be fairly hardy once established but also can be fairly secretive.
Scarlet Pin stripe Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus evanidus) * Not real familiar with them, but I don’t think they are overly hardy and can be very shy.
Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) * I have always kept a sixline wrasse in my tanks. They have been great flatworm eaters in my tanks. But they can be a little aggressive towards other fish (especially similarly shaped or smaller fish).

=======================================================
Blenny list as is>
Bicolor Blenny(Ecsenius bicolor)*
Red Scooter Dragonet / Blenny - Synchiropus stellatus * Being that im to have mostly SPS corals, I need protection for if any possible hitch hikers get past me
Harptail Blenny (Meiacanthus mossambicus) ?
Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas) *
Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny (Ecsenius bimaculatus) ?
Black and Yellow Blenny (Enchelyurus flavipes) ?
Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura) ?
One Spot Blenny (Crossosalarias macrospilus) ?
Dottyback list>
Blue Flavivertex Pseudochromis/Sunrise Pseudochromis or Sunrise Dottyback (Pseudochromis flavivertex)?
Fridman's Pseudochromis/Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani) *
Springeri Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis springerii) *

On the aggression part you speaking of on this species, I will go with one in both reef tanks, one that goes after worms and such.
=========================================================
Wrasse selection as of now>
Emerald Green Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus) ?
Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) ?
Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) *
Possum Wrasse (Wetmprella spp.) *
Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) *
I forgotten to add the blue spotted jawfish, I love this fish ***

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
Lots of nice choices. I saw yellow wrasse as one of the selections. I have 5 of these in my 150 and they add some awesome color and movement to the tank! Everybody loves them and the only problem one is the original one I started with occasionally chases the other four, but he has gotten alot better over the last couple of months and they all stay close to each other and zoom in and out of the rocks. I'm not a big anthia guy mainly I guess because I have heard of people with big tanks buying 4 and 5 at a time only to have them eliminate each other to the end (I've only heard of this from 2 different people and don't know if they just got an unlucky group or what). My luck with tangs has been minimal so I can't help you there (they tend to pick on my foxface and end up dead, I guess nobody told them to not mess with the venomous fish). Other then that I love my foxface, except when he is fighting with the queen angel (which only happens once in a blue moon), he is an algae eating machine. I love the yellowheaded jawfish, but they could become lost in a large aquarium, or jump out like the one i had did repeatedly (even though I did my best to cover the aquarium, he still found the smallest hole to jump through). do you have royal grammas on your list? They are another cool fish, I have one in my 150. Just a couple of thoughts on a few of the fish. By the way, I'm totally jealous, I only have a new 90 gallon to stock and that will have to be done around my snowflake eel :grinyes:. Have fun and keep us updated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store