cory with swim bladder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
I also had a peppered and a bronze cory do the same thing when I first got them. I don't know if they really was swim bladder, indigestion, or they were just messing around. Since they come up for air, I think they might have swallowed too much air.

I isolated them and under-dosed some aquarium salt and they were all better the next day.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
a few of mine did that when i first bought them. usually its fine but they started losing their balance and die a few hours or days later. i seperated them and treated them with antibiotics. they recovered but i lost 2 peppered cories. its normal for them to gulp air once in a while but not often, and losing balance is a warning something can be wrong. see if other fish are showing signs of being sick.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree. Cories have developed a way of getting more oxygen by gulping at the surface so that is completely normal. However, I too would be concerned that something is is going on. Cories I think have a pretty poor swim bladder in general so I would isolate them and see if it continues.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I know they're not supposed to like added salt but mine didn't act bothered by the salt.
I have been adding salt to the tank for about 1-2 months now and they were fine, so i dont think its salt. And last week i started adding less and less salt to the new water, trying to ween them off salt overall..

a few of mine did that when i first bought them. usually its fine but they started losing their balance and die a few hours or days later. i seperated them and treated them with antibiotics. they recovered but i lost 2 peppered cories. its normal for them to gulp air once in a while but not often, and losing balance is a warning something can be wrong. see if other fish are showing signs of being sick.
What antibiotic did you use? is it necessary to use them to cure the problem? can any other things be done?

I agree. Cories have developed a way of getting more oxygen by gulping at the surface so that is completely normal. However, I too would be concerned that something is is going on. Cories I think have a pretty poor swim bladder in general so I would isolate them and see if it continues.
My other peppered is fine but the larger albino once in a while drifts off. And on the albino i dont know what it is or how he got it but it looks like 2-3 tiny bloody cuts along his body. I have added some stress coat and right now slowly trying to get my ph in the other tank similar to the one corys are in so i can transfer them there to get better. Though the peppered one i placed him in a breeder tank so he can have easier access to the top to get oxygen without using up 2 much energy and so far he is drifting away less.

Heres a pic of my albino with the cuts. As i said i dont know how he got them. Others in the tank are Silver dollars, Sailfin molly and a bolivian ram.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
the blood spots can be bacterial which is what my cories had. i treated with erythromycin. seemed to work for a few other fish that were laying on the bottom. after i treated it, they never acted that way again. wait and see how they do but i think the blood spots may be a clear sign.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store