Help! Fry panic

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
I've got a fry which probably is a small gold fish. It just appeared in a tank outside with only plants and a couple of guppies. I've placed it in an acrylic QT with some gravel from the main tank. But after a few days, it doesnt seem to be doing very well. It was much more active in the dirty tank outside than in the QT. It is swimming slightly inclined to one side rather than straight. I don't know what to do. I've tried feeding him crushed tropical stick but it doesnt seem to eat anything.

Do I place him back in the dirty, green, unheated unfiltered unaerated tank outside? I change the water of the QT every 2 days with that of the main tank (inside). What do I feed it with? I've never had fry before and I'm really at a loss

DSCF0431.jpg

Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
If your right that it's either a goldfish or maybe a river carp (I read your other post that that was a possibility) if they eat floating food they're more likely to get constipation and gas, and floating/balance problems, than if they eat sinking food. One of my goldfish (badly neglected rescue feeder fish) when I first got it had problems with periodically swimming off-kilter. I'd feed it some thawed frozen pea (remove the skin) and it would be fine for about a week before we'd have to repeat it. Try a slightly mashed pea (thawed frozen is better than canned due to salt), my goldfish, swordtails, snails, and endlers all love them.

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks, I'll try the pea. I think you are right about eating floating or sinking food. In the outside tank, it used to peck at the gravel. There was nothing I could see on the gravel but surely the tiniest of particles will be sufficient for him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store