Tortula ruralis aka star moss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Finally after my winning bid on aquabid and having waited for weeks, my star moss finally arrived.( arrived weeks after my first auction won of subbwrasstang, but the star moss arrived first :wall:).

Anyway, I haven't seen much information on star moss and it's scientific name Tortula ruralis.

But the package arrived on a 2x2 mesh and the plants look really tiny and I guess they got smooshed together. Anyone know if I should let them grow bigger first or try to detach the star moss from the moss and get some thread and attach to driftwood. Keep in mind, the the star moss is really tiny and about the size of a pin head from root to head. So maybe once off the mesh all the star moss will scatter and become a bigger pain :lipssealedsmilie:.

Also should I quarantine it, seeing I just rinsed it and places it straight into my 10 gallon shrimp tank with the high lighting and a bit of searchem flourish to help it grow.

What you can't see in the picture but in person would be some star moss are seperated from the smooshed parts and you can actual little star mosses leaves.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
i would let it grow to recoop. travel sucks on plants.

then either leave it to look nice.
or try then to remove it and tie it down where you want it?

looks like a great start tho. hope it grows very nice for you. post some update pics too.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
If I remember, I believe "star moss" is not aquatic.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
:(...

Do you have any articles or hard proof on not being aquatic? If isn't aquatic I waited and wasted a few bucks on just getting it home :/.

I seen one article online about it growing on rocks, I am guessing the aquabid picture makes people skeptical that it is indeed aquatic. I will keep it in my tank and see how it grows out.

Picture of star moss underwater:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&liveplantsm1198911156

Last edited:

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Just a piece of info I picked up while browsing forums. You could probably run a search for "star moss" on plant forums and see what you get.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Just a piece of info I picked up while browsing forums. You could probably run a search for "star moss" on plant forums and see what you get.
I did a search on google with star moss and as well as the scientific name, and I did use other plant forums. I was looking for hands on experience with the moss.

JimL

I know just enough to be dangerous
Mar 28, 2009
Silverdale, WA.
I did a search on google with star moss and as well as the scientific name, and I did use other plant forums. I was looking for hands on experience with the moss.
I know this is an old post but has any information ever became of Star moss. Is it is or is it ain't aquatic?
I'm considering trying to find some and a google search lead me to this thread.
Thanks in advance for any information on this.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I know this is an old post but has any information ever became of Star moss. Is it is or is it ain't aquatic?
I'm considering trying to find some and a google search lead me to this thread.
Thanks in advance for any information on this.
I don't know about Star moss,but have you look at Christmas moss?

JimL

I know just enough to be dangerous
Mar 28, 2009
Silverdale, WA.
I don't know about Star moss,but have you look at Christmas moss?
That's my next choice if Star moss doesn't work out. It hasn't been lookinug good, but I'm still trying to be hopeful. I really like the low, close to the ground, look of the star moss.

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
I had Star Moss growing on the top of an aquarium plant I had purchased. When submerged it just melted away.
So I presume it and the plant, a crypt, were grown emersed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store