Fish compatible with Discus fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
My 55 gal tank is empty and I plan on getting 4-5 Discus max for my tank but I first want to get some fish to cycle my tank. I want to make sure they are compatible with next fish (Discus), so if anyone is very knowledgeable with Discus I sure could use the advice. I would like a few for algae eating plus a few other types. Thanks. Tim

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Discus get rather large. 55 gallons may not cut it. I'll let someone else chime in to confirm that. As far as fish that are compatible, suckerfish are generally not considered compatible as they may attach themselves to the Discus. A school of Corydora Catfish along with a school of Harlequin Rasboras would work well, provided that you have the room. Again, I'll let someone else confirm.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hi Tim.

Several tetras, apistos, rams, keyholes, hatchetfish, pencilfish, otos, corydoras and plecos are compatible with discus.:)

I'm including only the tetras that really will be fine in warm temperature and won't nip.

Black Neon Tetra(Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
Black Phantom Tetra(Megalamphodus megalopterus)
Bleeding Heart Tetra(Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma)
Cardinal Tetra(Cheirodon axelrodi)
Columbian Tetra (Hyphessobrycon columbianus)
Diamond Tetra(Moenkhausia pittieri)
Emperor Tetra(Nematobrycon palmeri)
Glass Bloodfin(Prionobrama filigera)
Glowlight Tetra(Hemigrammus eryhthrozonus)
Green Fire Tetra (Aphyocharax rathbuni)
Head-and-Tail-Light(Hemigrammus ocellifer)
Jewel Tetra(Hyphessobrycon callistus)
Kerri Tetra(Inpaichthys kerri)
Lemon Tetra(Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis)
Penguin tetra(Thayeria boehlkei)
Robert's Tetra(Hyphessobrycon robertsi)
Rosy Tetra(Hyphessobrycon bentosi)
Rummy-Nose Tetra(Hemigrammus bleheri)
Rummy-Nose Tetra(Hemigrammus rhodostomus)
Rummy-Nose Tetra(Petitella georgiae)
X-ray Tetra(Pristella maxillaris)

Sterbai corydoras are tolerant of warm temperature.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Discus get rather large. 55 gallons may not cut it. I'll let someone else chime in to confirm that. As far as fish that are compatible, suckerfish are generally not considered compatible as they may attach themselves to the Discus. A school of Corydora Catfish along with a school of Harlequin Rasboras would work well, provided that you have the room. Again, I'll let someone else confirm.
The trouble with suckerfish is they may have been restricted of their food hence they resort to slime coat just to satisfy their appetite otherwise these should be absolutely fine with discus. Ancistrus, Sturisoma, Rineloricaria and small Panaque are fine. If their dietary requirements are fine, they won't resort to sucking slime coats. This applies to otos as well.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Many people keep 4-5 discus in 55 gallon tanks, with proper care that should not be a problem. I would suggest to most importantly, get your discus from a reputable breeder/importer and stay away from LFS discus. Buy the biggest discus you can afford, the bigger they are, the easier they are to keep. Over the past few years, I've had many different kinds of smaller fish in with my discus and what I like best are rummy nose tetras, which school really nicely compared to neons or cardinals, the false julii cories (albino cories tolerate the higher temps as well), and bristlenose plecos. Some sucking algae eating fish do get lazier as they get older and will suck slime coat in the dark at night while the discus are sleeping. A lot of people keep a pair or two of german rams with discus. I have too but will not do it again since the rams get so territorial when spawning. It just messes up a peaceful tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I am inclinded to agree with pinkertd.
stay with a reputable breeder the fish will be lightyears healthier .

also study the requirements of Discus. usually best kept at 82f water temp which makes the selections of tankmates smaller.
(many may argue the temp requirements..but I have a very reliable and reputable source).

cardinal tetras work very well with them as do black neons.

keep in mind to that discus prefer to forage(tho they will compete) for food.

but 4-6 in a 55 is fine .

I also agree with lupin on the 'suckermouth' issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store