How to correctly read the tests from an API saltwater master test kit.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So, right now I am testing for nitrate. How do I want to "read" the liquid? Do I want to read it against the white background on the card as it says in the manual or can I just read it with nothing in the background, for example just having a wall or something like that far away, I'm sure you know what I mean. In saltwater, as I'm pretty new to this, what is considered a high nitrate that can be a hazard in the tank? My nitrate after nine minutes came in as about 6 ppm when read against the white on the card. Also, if it says wait five minutes will it hurt the test if for example you wait ten minutes, or longer than it says?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Last edited:

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
if you hold it up against somethign of a different color, it will change the color of the liquid. Do it as the manual says. I set a timer as to when to check my results so I don't forget about it.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The best way i found to read them, is to hold the vial on the white background next to the colours and read them in good lighting...

I dont know about the timing, over and above the 5 minutes that it stipulates...one way is to test it..If you have a camera handy, take a photo of the vial at 5 minutes, then take another at 10 mins....see what difference you see...i kinda have a feeling you wont see any difference...

With regards to high nitrate levels..fish can live happily in nitrates of 40ppm, and even more really, its inverts and corals which are most suceptable to high levels of nitrates..i would deem 15ppm the maximum level to have in a tank that houses corals and inverts..but, thats just my personal opinion...

Hope that helps

Niko

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
thanks a lot both of you. Both of your answers helped me a lot and thanks atnixon for the info on the nitrate levels, that was very helpful. Thanks again!

BMorgan

AC Members
Jul 17, 2007
Northern California
I agree, and that is what I do with the API tests. Just hold them against the white part of the card that's white and do it good lighting like the kitchen or something.

Your nitrates seem fine (mine are at about 40 ppm) at the moment. I've been trying water changes and less feeding but I think I need to set up a fuge with some macro or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store