Does my snail look ok? Shell cracked..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

honghong322

AC Members
Sep 2, 2007
I've had him for quite some time and I was just beginning to worry. He moves around fine. He's in a tank with 6 cories, 1 angel and about 10 cardinals...
Sorry for the bad pictures, I need a better camera! Is there anything I can do and is this normal? What should I do?

and

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
That sure ain't pretty. Weak shells is due to low PH or a lack of calcium. I'm assuming by the other inhabitants that your tank's PH is probably acidic?

honghong322

AC Members
Sep 2, 2007
i just tested my ph, it's about a 7.0 - 7.2 I'm almost certain it's not getting enough calcium.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
that's not a crack, it's a fissure. the best research to date suggests it's a genetic problem with the mantle of the snail. one part of the mantle has trouble producing the shell material properly. your snail looks as though he's been closing it up all right on his own, though. feed him high-calcium foods and add some calcium supplement to your water and he should take care of it on his own. do not try to patch the fissure.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
feed him hikari crab cuisine,it great for shrimp crays crabs, and snails.. high calcium.. i use it for my shrimp and the snails eat it too and they are looking good after 3 months..of me finding it..

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Dont worry honghong, like dehaven said, it's not a big deal. with lots of calcium your snail should be able to continue to close the fissure. some snails have fissures that start when they're pea sized and continue into adult size, so they have a scar running all the way back to the start of the shell. it doesn't affect their quality of life or behavior as far as we can tell. it's only a problem when they start having trouble closing the fissure as they grow. keep an eye on it and he should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store