Flounder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Cant really find any info, on caretake, anyone ever had one? What do these guys typically eat once captive? Im assuming silversides and other crust.
Are they coral safe? Im just looking for info on this species.

(AND NO I DONT HAVE A FLOUNDER so dont ask about what tank size ill be putting them in/tankmates)

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I have had flounder, it is pretty good fried.

First mix up some milk and egg dip into that, then put into crushed crackers /with spices. What size frying pan you have? What side dishes would you serve with it? :rofl:

I have only seen them when diving, and they just skim along the bottom. What they eat I have no idea. I saw a special once, but can't remember what they eat. They will just sit on the bottom waiting for something to come along, then they grab it.

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
You are probably looking at a peacock flounder. They get pretty big, live off chopped frozen foods, probably coral safe, but you should watch them with crustaceans. Otherwise they are supposed to be easy to care for. You could just google them.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
google takes me no where just flounder you eat but nothing as far as caretake in captivity

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
well I got more info searching flounder on the saltwater.com forum board. I have a better understanding about them.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Minimum Tank Size: 125 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1' 2"
Color Form: Blue, Gray
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: With Caution (coral safe but NOT invert safe)
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Bothidae

The Flounder, also known as Plate Fish or Peacock Flounder, is laterally compressed and lays on its side on the bottom of the ocean or aquarium. Early in development, both eyes migrate to the left or right side, usually the left. The Flounder has a dull color with occasional light blue spotting. This allows it to lay in the sand, where the dull colors blend in making it very hard to see.

It requires a 125 gallon or larger aquarium with a sandy bottom which will allow it to blend in and change positions. It will eat most any invertebrate or small fish that come within its vicinity.

The diet should consist of chopped marine meats.

is an ambush preditor it WILL kill any invert and it WILL kill any small fish smaller than himself, surprisingly big Mouth is full of razor sharp teeth, and they can grow extreamly big trippling their size in less than a year!! Species requires a LARGE open space to move around in with at least 5 inches of sand. Can jump out of tank and some even crawl up the glass and wait to ambush smaller fish.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
true not to many people have the tank for this bad boy. PLUS its always underneath the sand, a master of camoflague.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store