Peppermint Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I just came back form my LFS and brought home two peppermint shrimp to try and help with my small aptasia problem, well it's not really a problem but still; I have avout 5 small aptasia and 1 slightly larger aptasia, and I am hoping that the two peppermint shrimp will go after these smaller aptasia. I was just wondering if two peppermint shrimp should be enough for this tank and also, do I need to feed them or will they feed themselves with the aptasia and lots of algae there is?

Thanks!

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
If I remember correctly their are 2 types of Peppermints and 1 will go after Aptasia like crazy and the other...............won't. I forget which. If it is the aiptasia eating Pep, 1 will do just fine in your size tank. I had quite a bit of glass nems in my 75g and 2 pep's got rid of it all in less than a week. Don't worry about food for them either. Once they get accustomed to the tank, they will come out just like the fish as soon as the food hits the water. You will no longer have to worry about uneaten food that hits the sand.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Grins, I totally disagree with trying just Joe's Juice or Kalk paste on any tank larger than a small nano. While these methods are fool proof on the aiptasia you can see and reach with a syringe, the ones you can't reach................you can't reach, unless you pick up and turn over every single piece of rock and even then you could miss the ones that have retracted back into the rock because of the disruption of picking up the rock and turning it over.

The right type of peppermint will eliminate aiptasia and keep it that way. Again, some pep's won't touch it so you have to find and ID the correct type of peppermint that will.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Pffft, no fun when you have 5 peppermints doing it and 2 skunks doing it. One of the peppermints with fertilized eggs is now in the sump after riding the overflow down. Wonder if the pods in the fuge will dine on the baby shrimp.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
do your peppermint shrimp actually produce small ones that survive or do they all die off or get eaten? Yes these are true peppermint shrimp, not camel shrimp, which my LFS also carries. I will see if they eat it and I will keep you guys updated.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Grins, when mine are done, I would gladly send them to you. I have had them for a week and they have eaten about 70% of the 60 or so aiptasia that were visible. I'm sorry but the research and the bookmarks I had on peppermints over 3 years ago to find which ones were more apt to eat glass nems has been lost in a hard drive crash. I do remember there are 2-4 different kinds that are all referred to as peppermints.

When I had my tank in Atlanta, I went through 7 different "peppermints" until I found the one. The 2 that I have now went virtually straight to the aiptasia. Took them about 2 hours to find the first one and go to town.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
do your peppermint shrimp actually produce small ones that survive or do they all die off or get eaten? Yes these are true peppermint shrimp, not camel shrimp, which my LFS also carries. I will see if they eat it and I will keep you guys updated.
So far no babies that I've seen but their eggs are definitely fertilized. When the babies come they'll be fish food without a doubt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store