a tang in a 75 g tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pussycat

AC Members
Jul 7, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
would a tang work out in a 75 g fish and invertebrate tank? i would like to also have a couple of clowns. thats as far as ive gotten to date. just playing around with ideas. if not, what are some large, colorful fish that would work in 75g?

thanks

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I would like to know about tangs in a reef setup. Seems like everyone has there own opinions on what works with what. I want to put a couple of tangs in my reef tank when I get it established. I have read in a few places that tangs do not go well in reef aquariums (I guess because they are herbavores?). Do you think I could get away with 2 tangs in a 100 gal. reef?

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Tangs will do fine, so long as they have enough algae to graze on. Unlike many carniverous fish, such as triggers or groupers, tangs are unable to eat one large meal during the day. Tangs must graze constantly during the day.

Another thing to watch out for is stinging corals. I've seen a yellow tang deteriorate quickly after being stung a couple of times. I believe that Xenia was the cuplit in that particular case, but you get the point. ;)

Anyway, in any tank 55 gallons or bigger, tangs should do fine so long as they have adequate nutrition.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
liquafacation- As long as the tangs are not in the same genus they should be fine. Generally 2 tangs in the Zebrasoma genus or two in the Acanthurus genus will fight. I have 2 tangs in my 209 gallon tank, a Blue hippo tang and a Naso. They both get along great. BTW, my tank is a FOWLR (Fish Only with Live Rock). Hope this helps and wish you both luck.

pussycat

AC Members
Jul 7, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
here is a potential list of fish that i am considering for my 75 fish/invertebrate tank: please give ideas and suggestions.

Clownfish-Ocellaris or Percula
Blenny-Midas or Mimic
Royal Gramma
Goby Citrinus
Pygmy Flame Angels
Ringtailed Cardinal
Hippo or Regal Tang

Once this is established, i need to come up with list of invertebrates that would clean the tank and the fish. do i have any fish listed that won't get along? that will eat cleaner invertebrates? that will be a nuisance to easy to raise corals? b/c i guess that would be the last step!

many thanks for your time,

pussycat

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
The clownfish might get a little territorial, it would be best to add him last, and make sure you have lots of rockwork and hiding places. Other than that, I understand that royal grammas will fight with each other but leave other fish alone.

I see that you have added an "s" to pygmy flame angel. I have kept a flame, but I haven't ever had more than one in the same tank. I would think that they would fight. Somone else chime in here if they know more, but my first instinct is to not put two flame angels in the tank together.

DeltaUguy

AC Members
Jul 17, 2002
Louisville, Kentucky
www.louisville.edu
I would watch out. Most tangs get too larger for even a 75 gallon tank. They require lots of swimming room along with plenty of algea to graze. I have a 75 gallon and plan on adding a Yellow-eyed Kole Tang. They stay smaller than most tangs and are less aggressive, even when they are older. A standard Yellow Tang is also ok in a 75 gallon, they stay small as well. I think at least a 6 foot tank is best for larger Tangs. IMO.

Pygmy angels fight, but if there is plenty of LR with plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in, you could try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store