1 and 2 gallon betta bowl journals!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
Yesterday, my friend (who just decided to start out w/ a betta bowl) and I went to our local thrift store. In the basement, we found a 2(?) gal and a 1(?) gal fish bowl, each for $1.86! I decided to track the progress of each. I got the bigger one :perv: I'll post pics when I can. I'll try to get pics for my friend. She found a little 'stand' that was supposed to be for, like, Christmas cookies or something but the bowl fit perfectly in it. My plan:

Gravel: Dark/ black(?)
plants: real.. java fern... etc.?
fish: betta!

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If that's the bigger one, it doesn't look like two gallons, which means the other one is going to be far too small to make a Betta comfortable. Measure it out with a container that you know the size of as I could very well be mistaken. What will you be using for heat?

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
You dont need a heater... most people will say too small for a betta but it will work, maybe put in a marimo ball. as for a filter ummmm???? do you really need one?

Last edited:

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
You dont need a heater... most people will say too small for a betta but it will work, maybe put in a marimo ball. as for a filter ummmm???? do you really need one?
Gets pretty cold in PA in the winter. I've seen tiny heaters in the big chain pet stores. Good luck & have fun!

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
Would a house get that cold????

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know how you run your heat, but unless heat is running all the time in the eastern states, it has to get pretty darn cold. I'm in Southern California along the coast, and the house temperature can drop to 55F during our winters. My house insulation probably sucks, but that's nothing compared to what you might get in the eastern side of the country.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
well me being on the gulf and having good insulation, I don't even have heaters on discus tanks, or any tank for that matter not even my pond. plus the gulf keeps houston warm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store