Chaetomorpha Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So I just got a big ball of chaetomorpha algae from my LFS for only $2.50, well is that a good price? It's about the size of a big baseball. What should I do with it? Can I just put it in my main tank or should I somehow put it in my aquaclear 20 filter or what do you guys suggest? If my nitrates are at around 6 right now without the algae, would you guys think that a clump this size will affect the nitrates at all and make them go down or do you think that the nitrates will just stay the same??? Will my lighting do fine with this algae??? (sig) If I put this into my aquaclear and mod it to be a refugium then would I still need a light for this algae?

Thanks!

Last edited:

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
I wouldn't add it to your main tank, it will probably grow and grow, and while it looks kind of nice at first it's not very appealing when you start having to rip chunks out.

Algae needs light to grow so if you make a refugium it will indeed need some light.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I will try it I guess in the tank and if I don't like it then I will pull it out and make a refugium out of my hob filter and I will buy a clip on light.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright well I took out one of the foam pieces which I had two of in the filter so now there is one foam piece and on top of that is the chaetomorpha algae. I just put a little desk lamp as a light for it. Do you think it should be fine as that? I have the filter put to the weakest.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
The desk lamp should be fine for the amount you have since the chaeto will be in the direct pathway of the light. And I have had good experiences with chaeto. I currently have a clump in my 35G. Its in my display xD You can't see it though. Its a small fist clump and I have it in the back. It does do a great job out competing unwanted algae. I had a rock that was covered with some type of hair algae and it was gone within three days after adding chaeto to my tank. My fish/hermits also really seem to like it.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright cool and thanks for the information. Yeah I think I will put it in the display but in the back so you don't really see it.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Will it die if I place it in the corner of the tank where it doesn't get nearly as much light as the center? It still gets light but not as much as in the middle; I want it there because I can't really see it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store