what can i put with discus??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Hey guys I ordered a 55 gal corner bow for my room. i want to put discus in there. I want to put in a freshwater stingray (still looking for one that won't grow too big) and from there I don't know what else can i put it there. I'm thinking of putting live plants in there to help keep the water stabilized.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
There are no freshwater stingrays that stay small enough for a tank that size. A pair of german blue rams, a trio of apistos, or some cardinal tetras would be nice.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
i was hoping someone would say rams, any idea's on stingray's that wont grow too big. I searched and i only saw a few that grew to like a foot and I was hoping to find a dwarf that only grew to like 5-6 inches.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
i was hoping someone would say rams, any idea's on stingray's that wont grow too big. I searched and i only saw a few that grew to like a foot and I was hoping to find a dwarf that only grew to like 5-6 inches.
Unfortunately there are none. They all require very large tanks. If there were, I suspect they'd have to add a Stingray forum. :grinyes:

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
sorry just noticed what you said about the stingrays. how would mollies, blackknives, rasboas, swordtails, loaches, pleco's, barbs, puffers, plaites, sharks, guppies, gourami's, betta's, crabs, lobsters, or snails?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
sorry just noticed what you said about the stingrays. how would mollies, blackknives, rasboas, swordtails, loaches, pleco's, barbs, puffers, plaites, sharks, guppies, gourami's, betta's, crabs, lobsters, or snails?
male mollies can be nippy, and they like hard water.

black ghost knives get far to alrge

it depends on what kind of rasboras, loaches, plecos, gouramis, and barbs you are talking about.

platies can work, but they really like a higher pH than what discus prefer. same with swordtails and guppies.

sharks are not a good idea to have in a discus tank. they are a bit to aggressive.

crabs and lobsters will not work because most crabs available are brackish and need some type of way to get onto dry land, and lobsters are to aggressive.

puffers shoudlnt be kept with discus or really any community fish. to nasty.

cardinals are not the best idea either, for a fully grown discus will easily eat one. rummynose tetras would be a better idea.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
how is the temperment on the black knives, and what kind of water do they like? I have an 80 gal I can transfer it too

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
how is the temperment on the black knives, and what kind of water do they like? I have an 80 gal I can transfer it too
Even an 80g would be too small. Black ghost knives grow to 20" long, and need a tank twice that big.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
that kinda sucks, so i guess with discus i can only really get petco style fish not too much else. I was told you should keep discus in groups of 4 or more, if not they get too territorial

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store