Mixing Clown types

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rooter

Tommy Root
Dec 28, 2007
Ontario
I am setting up a new tank and i was wondewring if i could have two pairs of differents species of clowns (percula, B/W).

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
It all depends on the size of the tank..if you going 70+ gals, then i dont see a problem with it....Mixing species does need space with clown fish, as agression can be an issue in my opinion when mixing species...

Niko

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Ya he is doing a 90 gallon tank. It shouldn't be a huge problem if they all have their own little nooks and crannies to hide in.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I would try it with caution. While my clowns have their established territory they do swim all around my 75 gallon as well so there will be some interaction between the fish.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
aren't perculas and black and white the same species, just color variations due to selective breeding?

okay was thinking of the ocellaris clown. Those are the same species, just color variation

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Of that I am not sure, but what blacks I have run across seem to be more aggressive than my perc or occelaris.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
they have the same genus and specis name, with the black and white having a little "var." after the species to indicate the color variant.

What about on the topic of clowns the odd number vs even number? say there are 3, is there more potential for aggression against the one if 2 pair up? I'm always seeing just a pair of clowns. I'm seeing information that the tank bred like to be in groups but not seeing personal experience on it.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
from personal experience:

I have had 3 diffrent variations of clowns.

1 false perc 1 maroon = no aggression due to the maroon being in a LTA.

1 tru perc 1 false perc = no aggression

4 black and whites 1 false perc = no aggression between the b&w and false perc BUT aggression between the b&w (removed the aggresor leaving 3 same result)

Currently

2 black and white 1 false perc = all host to carpet anemone - no aggression. Good times :headbang2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store